questions about swapping substrate - please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
questions about swapping substrate - please help

all of this is in reference to my 38 gallon tank.

ok, so i've got two bags of AS sitting next to me. i'm thinking about changing out the substrate to the AS. i have near 50 neon tetras, 2 angels, 4 neons, 4 platies, 3 rams, and 1 cory in the tank. i am deathly afraid of losing any of my fish. i'm thinking i would need at least 1 more bag of AS to fill in the tank with the proper depth needed. how would i go about doing this? if i stir up the substrate, i am going to release so much ammonia. i only have enough buckets to hold 10 gallons of water and another bin to hold roughly 20. i guess technically that is less than the 50% water change i do each week, but i don't think that i would have near the beneficial bacteria i do in the new AS as i do in the current substrate. i've also read the new AS will leach ammonia into the water. this true? i am guessing that if i use some marketed bacterial booster, things will be ok. i currently have eco complete which i believe is making the water quite harder than desired in a planted aquarium. i have to crank my co2 very high in order to keep away the BBA. it's visible that my fish are usually stressed from the high levels. how is it that in other peoples' tanks that they don't need such high co2 in order to keep the BBA at bay? is it because my water is harder? i'm a little confused as to co2 relationships with algae and what not. i'd like to learn a little more before spending all day on swapping out my substrate.

thank you for your time.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
gosh, you already have eco-complete and going to all this trouble just to change to aquasoil?
well, then I certainly hope aquasoil does whatever extra benefit you imagine it will do.
if all you are doing is fighting eco-complete's alleged hardening of your water,
then why not just make your water softer using additives?
trust me, something else must be wrong if the only way you feel you can fight BBA
is by increasing your Co2 levels beyond what your fish can handle.
swapping substrates alone won't solve what else if fundamentally wrong,
that is making your tank BBA prone.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...tml#post356689

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
my dosing? is that what you are suggesting is my problem? i use blackwater expert by kent to help soften the water.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
You might want to head down to walmart and buy one of those large storage bins as a temporary holding pen.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
^ +1 Rubbermaid bins will hold a lot of water and your fish will be fine for a few days in there. I'm not sure if it's nation-wide but a Target store in San Diego is selling the 45qt (about 12 gal) Rubbermaid containers for like $4 right now...

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered

- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ha... I've had a 30gl rubbermaid container I've been doing water changes with since I started this hobby... it's also been my temporary fish holder (for when I was changing MY substrate) AND plant holder and driftwood soaker. VERY helpful, if you ask me. I think I'll get another one to breed guppies in so I can feed little babies to angelfish... when I eventually set up that 45gl tank for them... and get angelfish. lots of steps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode