Substrate options - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Substrate options

Hi, im new to this forum. I was wondering if you would recommend eco-complete in a pretty heavily planted anubis/java fern "jungle". my tank is a 55 reg w/about 36 total watts of light. My main concern is my corys. It seems the gravel in there now is contributing to thier barbel erosion. any comments/ideas/experiances are appreciated.
Thanks,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you have no root feeders, I wouldn't even bother shelling out $$ for specialized substrate. Get sand. Your corys will like that much better. That's from all advice I got on planetcatfish. Unfortunately, I do have root feeders and couldn't do it.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so no real advantage/need for the ec having only java/anubias? where would be the best place to get some black sand. what types are the best or safest?

B

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
no need for EC with those plants as they don't get buried in the substrate anyway. Best place is attached to wood or a rock. As for black sand...I don't know, maybe Tahitian moon sand? Most LFS's carry this, that I've seen.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
Hi, im new to this forum. I was wondering if you would recommend eco-complete in a pretty heavily planted anubis/java fern "jungle". my tank is a 55 reg w/about 36 total watts of light. My main concern is my corys. It seems the gravel in there now is contributing to thier barbel erosion. any comments/ideas/experiances are appreciated.
Thanks,
B
I would suspect fungus over the gravel for the barbell erosion.....DC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

oh im tellin ya ive suspected everything from nitrate poisining to barbal thieves! the thing is, there is nothing on the sub. as far as foreign matter or particulates. my parameters are as follow. ph. 7 nitrate 10ppm nitrite 0 ammonia 0 which are all normal. and where it gets wierd is that not all of them are affected. i vaccuum my gravel 1-2X weekly with 20-25% water changes. i just think that some cories have "softer" bels and therefore is only affecting a few of them. so i bought the tahitian moon sand last night 5 bags i hope thats enough the stuffs pretty pricey! from what i read all i need is a sub thats 3/4"-1" in depth so i think ill be okay. any more suggestions would be great! and thanks all of you for your prior help!

B

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode