Getting some Tahitian moon sand and need some advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Getting some Tahitian moon sand and need some advice.

OK later on to day a guy is coming buy to give me 13lbs for free and i would like to know if it would be OK to lay it over my flourite that will have been in my tank for a year in March?

I know that someone is going to say that it will end up on bottom but i don't really care if that is where it ends up. I really like the look of a black substrate and this stuff was free so hay why not use it.

I would also like to know if it would at least be 1" deep in a 29 gallon if not off to the 10 gallon it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You are liable to ruin to effectivness of the Flourite by using the moonsand mixed with it, that sand is to fine a grain for placing over the Flourite, or to even use for a planted tank, it compacts.
It can be used but, there are stipulation's.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, wore wholes in it, now I use it for a grease rag.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
i love my moon sand, but its very unpractical for plants riccia will do ok on it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
i haven't had any troubles with my moon sand. I used it with my eco complete, makes planting easier, no compaction problems, and plants growing like crazy (not because of the sand of course, but they stay down in the eco better!) Not sure how well it will look mixed with the flourite. As long as you rustle up the substrate every week or so where you can while doing water changes, you shouldn't have any horrible problems. It is a very fine grain though, and likes to get into impellers and things like that. I wish there was a thicker grain sand in black that I could find around here because I would have preferred that over the TMS, but I haven't had any problems as far as growing plants, compaction etc.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a layer of tahitian moon on top of Flourite. Havn't had and plant growing or compaction problems thus far.

Agrees with seastar about wishing there was a thickergrain black sand. I know here in Chicago are they sell a thicker grain quartz sand by a local brand. its called like Splish Splash Diaz Rock Emporium or something.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I'm used the moon sand mixed with eco-complete for a couple years now, so I don't know why it would be a problem with flourite. It's a bit compact (but not a problem), but its much better than any other type of sand I have tried to use. Quite frankly, the eco-complete has been givingme more trouble than the moon sand.

BTW, my plants have much nicer root systems in my tank with the moon sand/ecocomplete than in my tanks with flourite. IMO, the moon sand is semi-light, but it doesn't really get stirred up that easy like regular sand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode