what is lesco thinking? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/86%)
what is lesco thinking?

I hav talked to 3 lesco stores near me(New Jersey) about obtaining 2-3 bags of soilmaster select in charcol. Two of them didn't even know they made it in charcol and the other looked it up, said there is 1 bag in coneticuit and a butt load in florida, for local pickup i'd need to order a pallad of 40 x 50lb bags. they could ups me a few bags but shipping on 50lb bags is retarded and i might as well order aquasoil(which i did, but the soilmaster select is for my small breeder/cheaper tanks and not for my display tank).

I called customer service and they told me i'd need to order a pallad as well on that item. How did you guys get it shipped to your local store for free?

I also called customer service for turface pro looking for a distributer. They had one real close to me(15 minute drive) but they refuse to answer the phone.

Grrrr.

Eheim Pimp #216
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
People order it online and have it shipped to their Lesco for local pickup.

Something I wish people would get off of is Lesco as the sole source for Soilmaster. Contact OilDri and ask their sales rep where the closest source is. For me, there is a place slightly further than my local Lesco but it's $3-5 cheaper, too.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some people only know what they hear here.

So thanks for the info - I'll check into the source you mention.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry. I knew Pro's Choice was the company who makes Soil Master, but everyone only seems to say that lesco is the only place who carries it.

I contaced another local turf warehouse. They carry Profile's turface products, but have no Pro-League in stock. They do carry Turface MVP for 10.99 a bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It has the same MSDS as the Pro-League.
Profile Products | Sports Fields | Turface® MVP®

They have about 720 bags of this in stock right now.

Eheim Pimp #216
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think it is a larger partical size than pro-league
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomkt View Post
People order it online and have it shipped to their Lesco for local pickup.
That's what a manager at a local Lesco told me some guy does. Works every time he tries. The bags end up coming from Atlanta and take about 7-10 days.

But that's just what I was told.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you call Lesco to order, see if they can have it shipped from the Mokena IL store. When I got my bag of charcoal, they had to unwrap a fresh pallet of it. This was in early December, so they may still have some.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
sorry. I knew Pro's Choice was the company who makes Soil Master, but everyone only seems to say that lesco is the only place who carries it.

I contaced another local turf warehouse. They carry Profile's turface products, but have no Pro-League in stock. They do carry Turface MVP for 10.99 a bag.

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It has the same MSDS as the Pro-League.
Profile Products | Sports Fields | Turface® MVP®

They have about 720 bags of this in stock right now.
Turface MVP has been on the "list" for substrates for a while. I'm thinking there are plenty of people using it. The only difference between this and Soilmaster would probably be grain size and uniformity (and maybe color). They are basically the same thing.

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I called my local Lesco about SMS charcoal 1/5/07. He had no idea what it was, they refered to it as ProChoice. After he figured out what I was looking for he said he would have a bag shipped to him from another store and that he would eat the shipping! He called today and said it's in and I can pick it up whenever.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good for you!

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: I have two lesco's reasonably close to me. One is about 10 minutes or so away(driving). The other is about 20 minutes or so away(driving).

The one closest to me refused to help me at all, requiring i needed to order a pallet of 42 bags in order for them to get the charcol in. They had plenty of red but i don't want red substrate.

I called the further one from me, and he took my name and number and said he would look into it. That was last week when i posted. Monday to my surprise he called to let me know he ordered 2 bags for me and they came in. He found some in Maryland and ate the shipping for me. What a great guy. And when i went to pick it up, he said he didn't know how often i would be needing more, but to give him a week heads up and he would order more from me. That lesco has earned my business, while the one closer to me will never see business from me.

As of right now, i am a happy owner of 2x50lbs of soilmaster select charcol.

Eheim Pimp #216
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
WOO! That's great! It is always such a pleasant surprise when customer service goes above and beyond. I really think you'll like SM as a substrate. I am planning on using it in almost every tank in my fishroom.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I ahve read that you can order the stuff online and pick it up at the local lesco. The local lesco guy didn't seem to think that was any different than having it sent to my house. For the people that have done this - exactly how did you arrange this (to save on shipping)?

thanks,

Keith
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek View Post
WOO! That's great! It is always such a pleasant surprise when customer service goes above and beyond. I really think you'll like SM as a substrate. I am planning on using it in almost every tank in my fishroom.
Surprise, heck, Jen, such usually sends me into shock. And that's sad . My usual expectation is that they're going to screw something up. Unfortunately they quite often meet my expectations.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I was extremely pleased with my experience ordering SMS charcoal from the Lesco in Rock Island, IL. The manager there didn't know they carried it in that color, but he looked it up and immediately ordered me some. I was not charged any shipping and this guy was really nice, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode