Slowly switching over to ADA Aquasoil without removing fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
Slowly switching over to ADA Aquasoil without removing fish?

So I know ADA has a problem with leeching ammonia into the water. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to slowly switch over my substrate in my 120 and keep the fish in there. Like put in 1-2 bags of ADA now and then in another week or two add another 1-2. If I have a high plant load and mature filter would I be able to keep the ammonia low enough to not harm my fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
This does not seem feasible.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sound's feasible to me though depending on what fish you have. Be daring! Try it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
The way that I understand is that AS lowers the PH to the point that ammonia is non toxic. I think its toxic at higher PH. I would suggest you remove the fish for at least a day or so and then add them back in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I put four bags (9 liter) in my 90 G over a three day period - 2 each time - just poured it in slow at first, then pretty fast actually.. I left all my fish in. Only fear was I might have buried a Kuhuli loach??

Safest thing to do is to add some Ammocarb or zeolite to a media bag ( a good quantity). It will nuetralize the NH4 and you can later remove it or just keep it as media - like the Eheim syntered glass or Rena ceramic rings. I didn't have any problems with any fish this way. But be ready for some tea colored water. Activated carbon helps that bigtime. And some folks put in some crushed coral to keep the pH up at first. I guess that depends on your fish species. I also met a guy who put in a bit Seachem Onyx sand to flatten things out - but that seems a little counter productive to the AS qualities.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
ok well I have been soaking the 4.5 bags of ADA in a 55gal trash can for almost 2 weeks and been changing as much water as possible every day. I figure on sunday I will switch over. I have SO many plants (most of them rotalla and watersprite) to the point they are taking almost all the swimming space from the fish so they should eat up that ammonia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode