Is this seiryu stone? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this seiryu stone?

I ordered some of this for cheap. It looks like seiryu, but it looks like it was in a reef tank or something because there seems to be ca+ precip on the rocks.

The rocks at the bottom are simple slate. Ignore them
Attachment 184865

Here are some other rocks.
Attachment 184873
Attachment 184881

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Positron; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I don't think so,
unless it has an ADA sticker.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

You should test it with acid, check for bubbling/foaming which indicates that its limestone based and could alter your tank kH

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I don't think so,
unless it has an ADA sticker.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Hehe.

Nice stones though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought a gallon of vinegar. Poured it in a 3 gallon bucket with the stones. Fizzed like all heck. Bummer

I'm going to check the pH of the solution after the vinegar is neutralized.
Attachment 185217

Last edited by Positron; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If it fizzed like the heck with vinegar, it would be foam city with muriatic acid. I don't use vinegar anymore due to fact that its a much weaker acid than muriatic acid. Its fairly cheap too and you can get it from hardware stores or a pool supply.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Looks similar. FYI seiryu is not inert

-Chris

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
You should test it with acid, check for bubbling/foaming which indicates that its limestone based and could alter your tank kH
Seiryu would fail this test as it is carbonate based. I, and many others, have seiryu and seiryu type rocks for our aquascapes with no ill effects. For the OP -- rock looks good, does not need an ADA sticker to be put into your tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I never said he can't use it... I use Seiryu rocks in my tanks as well; kH rises quite a bit with higher level of CO2, but regular water changes negate this effect. Others have complained that certain seiryu type rocks raise kH above 10 and becomes troublesome for sensitive plants, so one should plan ahead, especially since hardscapes can be very troublesome to change once plants/slopes etc are set.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 08-08-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Grammar errors
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi Positron,

Seiryu stone is a limestone rock from the Seiryu district of Japan. To the best of my knowledge this stone has not been exported from Japan for several years. Most of the stone we see sold as 'Seiryu stone' today is Ming stone from SE Mainland China. It is also a weathered dolomite (carbonate) stone as was Seiryu stone. As others have stated neither stone is inert.

Ming stone

Ming stone is 45 gallon tall

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If it hasn't been eported from Japan in years, people are getting it from somewhere. Or perhaps there a stockpile elsewhere. ADA gets it along with other japan stones from somewhere. There is also a guy that is selling it on [Ebay Link Removed] Great selection but too expensive for my wallet. The Ming stone doesn't look like what I have been seeing sold as Seiryu Stone though.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode