How to make root tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to make root tabs?

Hello there, after doing some research on root tabs Ive seen that quite a number of people make their own root tabs. I wanna try making my own tabs but i am very unfamiliar to this so I have absolutely no idea where to even begin.

How do you make root tabs? Which materials work the best?
Also how do diy root tabs compare to purchasable tabs like seachem flourish tabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Algae Grower

It's quite simple to make your own root tabs.

Buy a load of empty gel capsules on ebay for about $10.00. Then buy some osmocote plus if you can find it. It's discontinued but some stores still have some available.

Fill the gel capsules with the osmocote plus and dig them into your substrate. Make sure to poke a small hole on each side of the capsule so it stays in the substrate. It's very cheap and effective. You can make more than a thousand of them before having to buy some more or run out

Seachems root tabs are very expensive $10 for ten root tabs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
There are several tutorials here on the forum. If you use the search function, you'll find a few for clay-based root tabs. They're my favorite and will end up being less of an issue if you have sensitive livestock that can be impacted by everything in Osmocote hitting the water column. (And they dissolve, unlike Osmocote pellets, which will remain in your substrate forever / eventually work their way to the top of the substrate.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
There are several tutorials here on the forum. If you use the search function, you'll find a few for clay-based root tabs. They're my favorite and will end up being less of an issue if you have sensitive livestock that can be impacted by everything in Osmocote hitting the water column. (And they dissolve, unlike Osmocote pellets, which will remain in your substrate forever / eventually work their way to the top of the substrate.)
Yes, i'm using Osmocote+ and I'm still figuring if I like it or not. Not so sure I do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Here's a thread on it:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...highlight=root

I made some by wetting red clay (it's supposed to be high in iron) and adding ferts to make a paste, then I spread it out and let it dry a little, then formed balls and let them dry for a while. I don't know how they work though, I haven't used them...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

That was a pretty good link WallaceGrover. Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode