New Substrate Anybody tried it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Substrate Anybody tried it?

Has anyone had any experience with AQUARIUMPLANTS.COM's own Exclusive: Freshwater Planted Aquarium Substrate. I'm not afiliated with this company in any way but it would seem to me that a company that prides itself on selling aquarium plants would have a pretty good idea what it takes to make them grow. It also seems that one five gallon bucket that will cover 4 square feet at a depth of 3" for about $60 [including shipping to Cape Cod] is pretty reasonable. I am setting up a 30 gallon high this winter so it will be a while before I can offer my two cents worth, but was wondering if anybody had anything good or bad to say about this product.

AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Plant Substrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...lants-com.html

welcome to PTF
try using search next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
There was quite a discussion on it in the link provided above.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I still question the math about how much it will cover. But I have always been interested in numbers.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Too much about nothing

Thanks to all for the "Search" tips but the link to that thread raises only one question and offers zero answers. The Question " How do you pack 1728 cubic inches into a plastic bucket that has 1155 cubic inches of capacity?" [Kind of reminds me of the old Blivot joke]......A valid inquiry to say the least but offers little in the way of feedback. The multiple coin/substrate pix was worthy of a smile! [Thanks Yoink] Perhaps when I receive my order, I can answer this "magic question". But it seems I am on my own for the rest.

My reasoning for asking the same question again was threefold. 1.]The original thread was three weeks old and that latest reply was over two weeks old and 2.] It did not give me any useful information. and 3.] The thread was closed.

I thought the question deserved another try and was hoping that this time it didn't end up insulting intelligent people looking for a little help.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Welcome to you, CapeCodVivarium!

Your reasons for asking the questions were valid. Being told to do a search and directed to a closed thread was not very helpful. Particularly on your very first post here on TPT.

The question does deserve to be asked again. If I had some experience with the product, I'd give you an answer. Until then, the product is pretty new, so I imagine it will take some time for the information on it to come filtering in.

Mike
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Welcome to you, CapeCodVivarium!

Your reasons for asking the questions were valid. Being told to do a search and directed to a closed thread was not very helpful. Particularly on your very first post here on TPT.

The question does deserve to be asked again. If I had some experience with the product, I'd give you an answer. Until then, the product is pretty new, so I imagine it will take some time for the information on it to come filtering in.

Mike
Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

I just amazes me that some of the more experienced posters were so negative and nasty, demanding information about a new product and comparing the $35 purchase of aquarium substrate to a $25,000 purchase of a new car. Does it seem that our priorities are a little mixed up here. To think that the lack of posted information about this new product will make or break its success is pretty short sighted. It also seems rediculous to think that a product that has been on the market for all of a month would have any independent testing statistics or mineral contents available to publish. This is not a life or death issue. We're talking about a 5 gallon bucket of dirt. Let's get real here people.

I guess I am guilty of expecting any member feedback for a product that is this new. [my bad] The really sad thing is, even if I really like this product, I will have nothing else to compare it to.

Hopefully, over time, some of the experienced members of this forum with share their experiences with this product and others will learn to keep their sour grapes to themselves.

Thanks for letting me vent. Happy Holidays!

Jon
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Welcome on board, CapeCodVivarium.

I'm the person that bought a bucket of the new substrate and all I can tell you is that it appears to be the same material as Soilmaster Select/Turface Pro League. Specifically, a fracted, gray, Acryllite clay.

Here are the pictures I posted of the camparison between it and Turface Pro League...

The linked-to thread was locked (by me) because in the end it was no longer about the quality of the product, but rather focusing on the business practices of the vendor.

As for the material itself, I can tell you from personal experience that fracted Acryllite clay (regardless of who's selling it) is a great substrate save for the fact that it is very light weight so can be blown around easily by fish or water currents. It's weight also can make planting larger stem plants a challenge as the material often isn't heavy enough to hold them down unless done in a deep bed of it (3-4").

The material has a high CEC rating so is good for absorbing nutrients and keeping them available for the plant's roots. It has little or no Fe (as opposed to Laterite or Flourite).

Where the original thread got derailed was on the fact that you can obtain Soilmaster Select/Turface Pro League for far less at a Lesco distributor (for Soilmaster Select) or at a lawn and turf maintenance supplier (for Turface Pro League). Both are used in the maintenance of baseball fields as an infield ammendment so calling the local parks and recreation department may offer up a lead as to here it can be obtained in your area.

In any event, should you be unable to locate a local source for Soilmaster or Turface, you now have Aquariumplants.com as a convinient online source for the same material.

In actual use, you'll be best served by dusting the bottom of the tank with some finely ground peat moss, then adding a healthy amount of mulm, collected from an established tank, to the substrate...the same process used for any non-ADA-type substrate.

óBill

|
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Just for reference, here's a picture of my 120g tank that uses Turface Pro League as a substrate...

You really can't see much of the substrate with all the plants growing in it...but that's kind of the whole point, isn't it?

óBill

|
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful tank Bharada!

I will be using the AP substrate for a new tank I'm setting up. After hearing all the good stuff about Soilmaster and Turface and since this is compared to them, I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm an online shopper, so even if I was able to locate some Soilmaster, I dont know when I'd have time to go get it. So paying for the AP stuff plus shipping is fine with me, as I like the idea of having stuff delivered to my house. I'll have to post my experience with it as well, although the only substrate I'll have to compare it to are regular gravel and Eco-Complete, which really aren't good comparisons, since the AP stuff is different than those. Anyhow, maybe more people will use it and post their experiences and thoughts.

Welcome to PT by the way CCV. There is so much info here!

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
Welcome on board, CapeCodVivarium.

I'm the person that bought a bucket of the new substrate and all I can tell you is that it appears to be the same material as Soilmaster Select/Turface Pro League. Specifically, a fracted, gray, Acryllite clay.

Here are the pictures I posted of the camparison between it and Turface Pro League...

The linked-to thread was locked (by me) because in the end it was no longer about the quality of the product, but rather focusing on the business practices of the vendor.

As for the material itself, I can tell you from personal experience that fracted Acryllite clay (regardless of who's selling it) is a great substrate save for the fact that it is very light weight so can be blown around easily by fish or water currents. It's weight also can make planting larger stem plants a challenge as the material often isn't heavy enough to hold them down unless done in a deep bed of it (3-4").

The material has a high CEC rating so is good for absorbing nutrients and keeping them available for the plant's roots. It has little or no Fe (as opposed to Laterite or Flourite).

Where the original thread got derailed was on the fact that you can obtain Soilmaster Select/Turface Pro League for far less at a Lesco distributor (for Soilmaster Select) or at a lawn and turf maintenance supplier (for Turface Pro League). Both are used in the maintenance of baseball fields as an infield ammendment so calling the local parks and recreation department may offer up a lead as to here it can be obtained in your area.

In any event, should you be unable to locate a local source for Soilmaster or Turface, you now have Aquariumplants.com as a convinient online source for the same material.

In actual use, you'll be best served by dusting the bottom of the tank with some finely ground peat moss, then adding a healthy amount of mulm, collected from an established tank, to the substrate...the same process used for any non-ADA-type substrate.
Thanks to both Kristen and Bill for the welcome!!

In your opinion, Bill, with the knowledge that the AP substrate seems to be lighter and thus more difficult to set plants in, would adding a thin layer [maybe about 1 inch] of gravel over the AP substrate be a prudent idea? Theoetically this would also prevent fish and currents from blowing the subtrate around.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
OK - I just googled and found there is a "Lesco" distributor in Portland, ME (where I work).

I tried the "Search Products" for "Turface Pro League" with no success. Can someone tell me exactly what I'm looking/asking for here?

Thanks very much,

Scott
Sanford, Maine
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodVivarium View Post
would adding a thin layer [maybe about 1 inch] of gravel over the AP substrate be a prudent idea?
Substrates will tend to mix over time. Especially if one is heavier than the other. People in the know have told me a layer of Tahitian Moon Sand (inert black substrate by Caribsea) on the bottom will provide ease of planting (sand is wonderful to plant in), however an all sand substrate can be bad for roots.

Try to find a substrate that matches color if you do decide to mix.

You may wish to read this. Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

It is invaluable information for newbs.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Frawg> View Post
OK - I just googled and found there is a "Lesco" distributor in Portland, ME (where I work).

I tried the "Search Products" for "Turface Pro League" with no success. Can someone tell me exactly what I'm looking/asking for here?

Thanks very much,

Scott
Sanford, Maine
On Lesco.com you need to search for "Soilmaster Select".
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodVivarium View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

I just amazes me that some of the more experienced posters were so negative and nasty, demanding information about a new product. Does it seem that our priorities are a little mixed up here. To think that the lack of posted information about this new product will make or break its success is pretty short sighted. It also seems rediculous to think that a product that has been on the market for all of a month would have any independent testing or mineral contents available to publish. This is not a life or death issue. We're talking about a 5 gallon bucket of dirt. Let's get real here people.

Hopefully, over time, some of the experienced members of this forum with share their experiences with this product and others will learn to keep their sour grapes to themselves.

Thanks for letting me vent. Happy Holidays!

Jon
Vent on man, but think before you post. Many members who posted in that thread and looked through the thread are very experienced and what their thoughts are well taken here. It is harsh for your 4th post here be that of slightly bashing our members.

Furthermore, the notion that they didnt provide any mineral data is like a food company releasing a new food product and saying they will release the nutritional value later. Comon, they new that when they released the product they would be dealing with advanced aquatic hobbiests, not average everyday fish keepers. If we want to buy a product with no info we buy soilomaster select at half the price.

On another note, I think you need to earn the right over here is tell us to keep sourgrapes to ourselves especially since you didnt even post in the origonal thread nor were you a member here at the time of the thread. One way to not be liked here is to make such rants about members here in your first couple of threads.

Oh, by the way. Have a very merry jolly happy holidays. Drink lots of egg nog ( I know I am :-0 ) Thanks for letting me vent. Ok ty by by now

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode