Aquasoil Question: - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Aquasoil Question:

As my R/O unit broke several months ago (and Coralife wasn't too cool about replacing it) I have been using straight tap for about 6 months. Not a big deal, my tanks are fairly low tech.

However, I have a new high tech setup coming tomorrow (ADA 60-P, Aquasoil, powersand, etc.)

I was wondering if, since ADA soil is usually used in low kH/gH water, will my water cause many of Aquasoil's benefits to be rendered moot? It's acid conditions will be quickly canceled out by my high pH/gH/kH water.

I dose EI (not ready for PPS yet) and I do a lot of water changes. Buying distilled really isn't a viable option.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nope, we have pretty high kH out of the tap and i have had zero issues with AS and pressurized CO2.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
So you still notice a tangible benefit with Aquasoil and hard water?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My tap water typically has a KH of 14-18 and GH of 18-22. One week after setting up a 20h with one 9-liter bag of AquSoil the KH was 2 and the GH 4. That was about five months ago. Today the KH is at 4 but the GH is back up in the 20s.

So it will benefit you, but the question is how long the buffering effect will last with our hard water. As a backup I've purchased a couple of additional bags of Aqua Soil for use in my cannister filter. That way I can reintroduce the buffering capabilities of fresh AS without having to tear the tank down.

óBill

|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
As a backup I've purchased a couple of additional bags of Aqua Soil for use in my cannister filter. That way I can reintroduce the buffering capabilities of fresh AS without having to tear the tank down.

What a Great Idea! Filed for Future Reference!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
seriously, very smart!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
for the cost of the aquasoil you would put in your filter couldn't you just buy an RO unit? not to mention the aquasoil leeches ammonia when its new
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
for the cost of the aquasoil you would put in your filter couldn't you just buy an RO unit? not to mention the aquasoil leeches ammonia when its new
Not sure about the RO part....but IMO, ammonia in an established well planted tank, should get eaten up very quickly by plants. Maybe the reason why you see and explosive growth when you first use AS.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
This is what I was thinking. I got my RO off of ebay, 6 stage with TDS meter and pressure meter thing for like $140 shipped. I've never regretted this purchase, as it makes nice drinking water too!

Hard water & plants suck, period. I've done it for years, and now with soft water, I'm having the most fun I've ever had with plants! I use ADA substrate and will never use anything else, with 100% RO. I have no issues with it. In fact, I only dose TMG & Iron in my moderately lit, CO2 injected tank.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
so, does the leaching of ammonia mean it helps the cycle start too?
Thanks for the info guys, i had the same ?

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
so, does the leaching of ammonia mean it helps the cycle start too?
Thanks for the info guys, i had the same ?

It did for me...Personaly I don't plan to dump the aquasoil every year and start over....once it stops buffering the water, great, then my water parameters will be closer to the tap water I fill my tanks with...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
I am going to enjoy the buffering effect the AS has on my water. Im tired of the rock hard water here in texas.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Not sure about the RO part....but IMO, ammonia in an established well planted tank, should get eaten up very quickly by plants. Maybe the reason why you see and explosive growth when you first use AS.
Both Jeff Senske and myself seem to think so.
If you follow the plan that ADA suggest, then you definitely will.
If lower KH is something you want to do, use peat in the filter, that's what's happening with the ADA AS.

They have been doing this for a good 50 years or more in the hobby, but you do not see the same types of benefits.

The control for the NH4 burst is zeolite.
That just addresses the NH4 in the water column, not the substrate.
I've not seen much differences using the zeolite.
So I'd say it's from the form of the N and the location for some plants.

If you make a non limiting water column, then you can rule out NH4 vs NO3 there.

At least you can test that effectively.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to dufus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPob View Post
I am going to enjoy the buffering effect the AS has on my water. Im tired of the rock hard water here in texas.
Yea, good old limestone aquafer huh?
Hopefully peat and AS can help us out here.

-Devin-
Steve irwin- a father, a hero, a memory now. -We'll miss you mate
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
YES!!!! Just setup a 75 cm, and plants started growing that same day. Just make sure you plant heavily right away and dont put fish that same day. After a day or two I put the harlequin rasboras and they have been fine in there. Plants are just insane in the AS, growing is not the word to describe it.

BTW, I went 100% bacteria surface in the filter, no pads except for the coarse ones that come with it. Not interested in filtering water, just establishing a bio-colony.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode