typical noob substrate mistake? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
typical noob substrate mistake?

Ok, here goes: I went over my girlfriend's house after work last night and we decided to go to Petsmart (sorry AoA) to look for a nano tank so i can press my luck with starting one of these interesting 'little' tanks. Well i found a 2.5g tank that fit the bill. So i had my tank now all i needed was some good substrate. Being a substrate noob and only knowing about EcoComplete substrate i found another one at Petsmart (doesn't sell ecocomplete) called "Seachem Meridian(TM) Tidal Marine Substrate". I thought "hey, this stuff will work, it's made by Seachem!" I read the packaging about 2 times and saw it can be used in 'tropica' tanks so i thought this was a for sure thing. Also the bag compared itself to ecocomplete.

Now having got this stuff, i did what the directions said, i washed the dust off the gravel before adding to my 2.5g nano tank. After washing it all off and adding it instantly made my nano a 2.5g tank of fog. It settled after an hour or two (no filter on my nano).

I now realize i didn't read ANYTHING saying this substrate is used for planted aquariums.

I feel i wasted $20 bucks on worthless, dusty subtrate i have no use for.

Question: Will plants grow in this substrate? Or should i ditch it and go with the Seachem substrate such as something like flourite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That's a great substrate for a reef tank. Lousy for a planted tank. It will most likely play hell with your water chemistry.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
That's a great substrate for a reef tank. Lousy for a planted tank. It will most likely play hell with your water chemistry.
Crap.

I wasted $20. Well, i guess i'll just pitch the rest of it. I only needed so much of it to give me a nice 2" thick substrate for my 2.5g nano.

Shame.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cydric View Post
Being a substrate noob and only knowing about EcoComplete substrate i found another one at Petsmart (doesn't sell ecocomplete) called "Seachem Meridian(TM) Tidal Marine Substrate".
I really think the word "Marine" in the name should have been a good tip off. Can't imagine a good reason why it would be compared to EC by the manufacturer??? But if you want something good for planted tanks made by Seachem, use Flourite. It's dusty too though.

Are you in the Pittsburgh area? Your profile says WV, but I can't imagine why you'd reference AoA (All Oddball Aquatics on the Southside) if you weren't.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Petsmart is really very good about returns or exchanges on product because they want to keep customers! With only a 2.5 gallon aquarium I imagine most of the product is still in the bag. Take it back, tell them you purchased the wrong thing and want the Flourite instead! My local Petsmart also has the Flourite by Seachem which is for planted tanks. They can return it to their distributor or sell it at a discount to another customer.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yeah, marine substrates (typically dolomite or crushed coral (limestone)) will not be fun to deal with when you start injecting CO2 into your tank. Think of drinking a limestone milkshake, yeah it will be something like that.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Before you rush out and buy Eco Complete, consider that you'd probably only need a single 3L bag of Aquasoil for a tank that small. It only costs $10 on AF's website and shipping wouldn't be that much, since the weight wouldn't be all that much. It certainly would grow things better than EC or Fluorite. That would probably be your best "bang for the buck".

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, be glad is was a 2.5 gallon, not a 125 gallon mistake...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by original kuhli View Post
Haha, be glad is was a 2.5 gallon, not a 125 gallon mistake...
LOL true that.
For a cheap alternative you should head over to home depot in the fert/potting soil section and grab a bag of Schultz Aquatic soil. 6 bucks gets you plenty for a small tank.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Yes, i live 30 minutes from Pittsburgh, PA and i'm a new member of PAPAS.

I think i might turn this nano into a saltwater nano just because i already have two fresh water planted tanks, might as well try something different.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:05 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
if you still have the bag you can return it. petsmart is pretty lax on their returns imho. especially with dead fish, they dont even ask for a reason most the time.. not that i kill fish >_>
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: In my bed (which is in the midwest). No, seriously.
Just so you know what you're in for, a nano SALT tank is actually harder to do than a big one, by orders of magnitude. A big body of water is naturally subject to less variations in the water, so salt water fish and inverts are SUPER intolerant of even minute environmental variations, and those can happen so quickly and easily with a teensy tank it's not funny. Mosquito flies by, has a heart attack and falls in, and all your nano critters start turning blue and losing the will to go on.

If you are looking for a hella big challenge, go for it, my friend. But don't say you weren't warned!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roturier View Post
Just so you know what you're in for, a nano SALT tank is actually harder to do than a big one, by orders of magnitude. A big body of water is naturally subject to less variations in the water, so salt water fish and inverts are SUPER intolerant of even minute environmental variations, and those can happen so quickly and easily with a teensy tank it's not funny. Mosquito flies by, has a heart attack and falls in, and all your nano critters start turning blue and losing the will to go on.

If you are looking for a hella big challenge, go for it, my friend. But don't say you weren't warned!
Did you know that you are replying to a post from 2006??

------------------
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Did you know that you are replying to a post from 2006??
Newbies
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode