Best Cap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
MrG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Cap

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and figured it's a good start to starting this tank the right way...

I have had this 29gL running for at least 8 months now. I first thought I'd start with a community tank with a couple plants here and there.

That turned into me falling in love with planted tanks, and rebuilding my tank by throwing out the gravel and picking up Eco Complete, a bunch of plants, and replacing my light fixture with 79w worth of coralife T5HO's @ 10000k.

I tried going the DIY CO2 route but I don't think I was achieving much from it as it was not affecting my water parameters as I read it should.

Anyhow, long story short, I've been researching this walstad method for the past 2-3 months and I'm planning to build a 55gL as my first walstad tank. I do have access to Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix. The one thing keeping me from starting this is what I should be using as a cap.

What's the best cap for a walstad tank? I read of a lot of people just using fine gravel, but I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible, now having spent so much money on the 29g and thinking I should've studied first.

I looked into PFS, or silica sand, but I also read that the dirt should be allowed to breathe, making me believe that the sand would be too dense of a cap for the dirt to remain aerobic.

What is my least problematic setup for a walstad tank? Now, I know I will be dealing with things for the first weeks of setting it up, but I'm looking for the best methods you guys have tried out.

Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How about capping with Safe-t-sorb? Looks great, it's cheap($5=40lbs), which is more than enough for a 55g. You could always just use the STS by itself but you would need root tabs and other ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode