substrate leeching P04 ?? ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate leeching P04 ?? ?

I was wandering if its possible that my dirted setup could be leeching P04 into my water column. Here's the tank info.
10g miracle grow organic potting mix 1" with pfs cap that may be too thin. I have a few plants and some moss. I dose pps pro but not the phosphate and run diy co2 my lignt is a 26w CFL bulb 6500k 1610 lumens in a clamp lamp dome an inch and a half drom the water line. I have a biowheel150 as a filter my stock is 10 cichlid fry and about 2 dozen cherry shrimp. I feed new life spectrum only. My phosphate test is always at about 1.5 except the day after my wter change. My tap phosphates are 0. Could it be the soil leeching out due to a thin cap or could it be coming from the food I'm feeding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Likely come from both sources, but thats the point of using a dirt substrate in the first place no ? The PO4 is good for plants, and 1.5ppm is harmless.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm trying to get it down to 1ppm it was at 5 when I started testing for it and after weeks of doing 2 50% pwc's a week I'm starting to wonder where its coming from because I'm not dosing it at all. And I would like to get back to only one pwc a week. As it is a shrimp/fry tank I don't wanna keep stressing them out so much.
And im feeding new life spectrum which i thought didn't have much fphosphates in it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PO4 must come from your miracle gro, that is the idea of using dirt, having PO4 for plants.

Sometimes a lot of nutrients can leach in the water column on the first weeks, maybe too much at the beginning. That's why it can be a good idea to do some big water changes on the first days.

Now that your PO4 are at 1,5 ppm, I would the leave the tank that way. That's good for the plants.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.

Last edited by micheljq; 07-29-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks yall. I'll see what happens when I go back to one water change a week then and see if its still leeching a lot.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Likely come from both sources, but thats the point of using a dirt substrate in the first place no ? The PO4 is good for plants, and 1.5ppm is harmless.

I can even say it is too low...

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Yes, phosphate can be leaked from the soil. However, you should dose phosphate regardless because you don't know when the phosphate would get leaked to the water column. You can't tell what is your phosphate level without testing. I certainly won't test my water every time when I dose ferts.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
I can even say it is too low...
Well I don't have but one red stem ii n this tank the rest are green plants so I don't really want or need anything higher than 1.5
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Yes, phosphate can be leaked from the soil. However, you should dose phosphate regardless because you don't know when the phosphate would get leaked to the water column. You can't tell what is your phosphate level without testing. I certai won't test my water every time when I dose ferts.

I test Ph,po4 and no3 before every water change and wright it down in my notebook. I don't need to dose po4 because ly po4 goes from 1.5-5 between water changes and I'm doing 2 50% changes a week. That seems a little excessive I know but if I don't do it my phosphates go off the charts by the end of the week.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
my stock is 10 cichlid fry and about 2 dozen cherry shrimp.
Not for long!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode