15 pounds of flourite enough for a 20 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
15 pounds of flourite enough for a 20 gallon?

Hi guys! I was just wondering if 15 lbs of flourite was enough for a 12 gallon high ? I wanted to add a gallon of playsand over that, i relize it will sink and be mixed up eventually but it's just for looks and to help the HC get established. I believe the flourite will be 1.5 inches and the sand should (hopefully) bring it up to 1.75 inches. This is still too little? I have a feeling it is I could add a half in of my existing substrate (schultz which I had and it's ugly and lighweight) or add a half inch of sand and mix it up with the 1.5 inches flourite and add a gallon of playsand over that. It's only 2 inches and it's mostly flourite so i don't expect anaerobic areas or compaction. I'd rather go the second route but i figured i'd ask.

Will replacing my existing substrate be a huge issue if I do the water changes required? I'm moving from a 10 to a 20 high and will be setting it up tomorrow. All I have is one otto and a bunch (no more than 30) cherry shrimp. I hardly ever feed.

I kind of need answers tonight because the paint will be dry tomorrow on the new tank, all the plants are in a bucket with lights and co2, the rocks are out, and the tank is still leaking after lowering the water by 4-5 inches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I had to use two bags to get a good depth in my 20H. I even mixed in a little shultz aquatic plant soil, the burnt orange colored stuff. You can't distinguish between the flourite and shultz after it is mixed together and put into the tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

oh wow 2 bags huh?

Okay... well then how about an inch of the schults (auctually it's probably 2/1 schults/sand) with 1.5 inches of laterite overthat and a gallon of sand over that?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Laterite is not supposed to be a substrate. It's a substrate additive. If you have a bag of Flourite just mix it with a coarse sand/fine gravel of the same approximate grain size.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Sorry sorry my mistake. I meant flourite.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I used all the old substrate and mixed it up with flourite. Probably 10 pouds profile, 15 pounds flourite, and 5 pounds sand.

You can't tell at all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode