150G Aquarium Substrate + .. Other Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy 150G Aquarium Substrate + .. Other Questions

Going to try not to make this a novel...

I have a 55G. I'm not unfamiliar with all the rules. I do a High Light/CO2. I have been given the task to set up a 150G tank with a sump filter.

I believe... I have everything correct, the biggest issue being my concern about the substrate, so I wanted to get confirmation on my substrate choice and then confirmation on my overall set up. So, here it goes;
  • This is for a low-tech/NO CO2/low-light
  • 150G Tank (66"L, 24"W, 30"H)
  • Sump Filter w/Bio-Balls
  • Substrate: 1.5" of Organic Miracle Gro Mix, 1.5" Eco-Complete (80 LBS?)
    Note: I will not do much rescaping. I'm small, and the tank is huge. I can't even reach the bottom. It'll be a ... special adventure to put things in it.
  • Lighting: 48" Finnex Ray 2 LED
  • Decorations: Driftwood/Branches & Rocks (Limestone, Slate, Sandstone, Pumice-- not sure yet, depends on what Home Depot has.)
  • Plants: C Wendtii, Dwarf Sagg, and Hemianthus glomeratus
    ... Coincidently, I almost said *eff it and would just have lots of rock/driftwood and then have frog bit. I have a ton of frog bit because it over thrives in my 55G.

Has something like this worked well for others? The Substrate-- ugh. I've read tons, really, it's been brought up over and over again and each time I read there is dissenting opinions. It feels like half is pro dirt, and half are 'just do eco-complete!'.

I just want some validation -- and perhaps some coming from people who have successfully done it using a tank this large with a sump. I've never used a sump before... :X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Honestly, I would skip the MGOCPM for something else. Even pool filter sand. Or maybe more eco complete? Sifting the stuff is a PITA and I just don't think its all its cracked up to be. I have peat moss in my tank (which is the main ingredient in MGOCPM) and at first it thrived in spectacular fashion, but now its just....meh. I don't maintain mine very much which cold be part of the problem, but MGOCPM doesn't have much to offer in the way of nutrients. Dirt from your back yard would probably work just as well or better provided its relatively clean.

Either way you'll have to substitute with root tabs. Can you reach the substrate to add root tabs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode