Aqua Soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aqua Soil

I have a 72g bowfront and I have malaya aqua soil. It is great for the plants, but my clown loaches make a mess with it. They skim the soil with their bodies and then a wave of aqua soil goes up into the water. It makes my water cloudy on a daily basis. I have a fluval 405. How do you all deal with these types of problems with aqua soil? I kind of feel like I should have went with sand or gravel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Unfortunately, give the loaches to your LFS. Thats just my opinion.

Ryan
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
Unfortunately, give the loaches to your LFS. Thats just my opinion.

Ryan

I just cannot see why Aqua soil would be so highly rated then, because that means that I would have to get rid of almost all bottomdwellers as my blue rams do the same thing. Aqua soil is good for the plants but everyone around here talks about it as if it had no downsides to it.

I like my loaches to much, so I'll just cover the aqua soil with sand or gravel.

Thanks.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 10:22 PM

PTrader: (22/100%)
Are you using the powder type?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Also I've heard that after a year or so the soil turns mushy and you need to replace it. Something like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
Are you using the powder type?
No it is the standard type. And i can see how it would turn into mush in the future, but I do not uproot my plants to often so I thought it would not be a problem. However, I had no idea how light the stuff is, it is more like dirt than soil. Don't get me wrong, I like how my plants are doing, but I just wish I knew that before I spent the money on the 3 bags of it.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
HI, I have a question was your water clear when you you first set the tank up . The water in my tank has been a cloudy mess using aquasoil even after three weeks and lots of water changes. Its very disheartening after reading the rave reviews here about this product $$$. I've tried straight RO/DI water,Tap water,Tap water mixed with RO, and My UV light on this tank. No luck it still looks like a smokey bar. I'll give it a few more weeks then this substrate is coming out of the tank.
Really there has to be a common denominator as to why some tanks cloud and others don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
No it is the standard type. And i can see how it would turn into mush in the future, but I do not uproot my plants to often so I thought it would not be a problem. However, I had no idea how light the stuff is, it is more like dirt than soil. Don't get me wrong, I like how my plants are doing, but I just wish I knew that before I spent the money on the 3 bags of it.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Mine looks horible as well, if I move one thing the entire tank clouds and I have to do a 90% water change or 2 to get it to clear up, the filter does no good at getting rid of the smoke like clouds in the water. I have not had it 100% clear but it's only been a few days. If I can't find a solution I'm going to replace with Eco or flourite or anything else that does not have this probelm and cut my losses.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)
I just replaced my flourite with Aqua Soil (regular) and mine turned out fine. When adding water to your tank did you pour the water directly into the tank or did you pour the water onto a plate? That's what I did. I've also got Clown Loaches in my tank too but they pretty much leave the Aqua Soil alone. I do notice that when I'm planting that a little cloud forms but dissipates after a few seconds.

"Over the beautifully shining green pasture and in the green forest, joyously sails fish... fish.
They support each other while playing leading parts by themselves.
The picturesque scenery calms down our hearts.
In the water is there a world."

-Taskashi Amano
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltura View Post
I just replaced my flourite with Aqua Soil (regular) and mine turned out fine. When adding water to your tank did you pour the water directly into the tank or did you pour the water onto a plate? That's what I did. I've also got Clown Loaches in my tank too but they pretty much leave the Aqua Soil alone. I do notice that when I'm planting that a little cloud forms but dissipates after a few seconds.
I trickled mine down driftwood...
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)
hmmm... you could have possibly gotten a bag of bad aqua soil... i've read that some customers have gotten a bag or two of bad soil. i believe the bacteria in the soil died because of a bad batch or a bag that had a small opening and allowed some air into the bag. whatda think? do some research on this thread... i think that the customers called ADA and they shipped them replacement bags. good luck.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe,but I'm thinking I'd rather just get a refund and Eco instead though. I don't know why dead bacteria would cause dusty smoke like clouding, I think it's just the way the substrate is. If you can mush it in your fingers like mud, I don't see how it could NOT cloud the water.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Aqua soil is a very soft substrate compared to flourite or eco- usually that cloudiness is from planting and or probably a combination of a bacterial bloom. When you stick the plants in the soil, some of it can break apart and when you fill, you get the cloud.

I get better results when I fill the tank slowly.

For those people having problems with cloudiness- what kind of filter are you running and what size tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm using a fluval 405 and I have a 72g tank. I used a plated when filling the tank. It was clear until I planted. However it cleared up afterwards. I have a white bacterial bloom, but I just started the tank so I am thinking that that's the reason. Whenever the clowns dash to the other side of the tank it looks like they are on a baseball field. lol It is kind of in my tank, so I think returning it will be out of the question. I am not going to take it out rebag it and send it back. lol Thanks guys.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have mine in an aquapod 24 gallon with the built in filter. I do not appear to have a bacteria bloom just cloudy water from the substrate. Bacteria bloom looks different. This looks more like dust.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode