Black Eco Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Eco Complete

Hello All,

I bought about 7 bags of Black Eco Complete and have added it to my aquarium that I am cycling..................I am not happy with the color! It seemed much darker in the bag I guess because its packed in some kind of bacterial solution.................it is just too light in color an ash grey and it has these annoying red brick granules throughout.....certainly not black!

Has anyone "capped" this stuff with say Flourite? I know that Black Flourite is in fact black. I'd even want to cap it with some gravel..it just looks so unnatural. My concern is the Eco Complete is just so light in weight...........the out put from my modest Ehiem 2217 just blows a large depression in the substrate where its flow is aimed. S I am worried that by putting something heavier on top say gravel..............would just cause the Eco complete to get pushed back to the surface. If it can be capped what depth of capping would be advised?

Thanks David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Yeah many people have complained about the fact that eco complete has red specks in it but I think it makes it look much more natural. Each bag can be slightly different in color hugh as I have had bags that were jet black with little to no red and I have had some bags that were a slight grey tint with a little more red. It is just the nature of what it is, natural lava rock with clay. Where did you purchase your eco from?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Big Al's......................not happy but its too late..........and too much bother to try and get my money back...............total waste of money 7 bags about $ 230 for nothing...............gonna dump it and start rinsing Flourite........what I should have used from the beginning.........

David

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Algae Grower

You paid $230 for 7 bags of Eco?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

triggergun beat me to it. I'm assuming they were purchased at a LFS, based on my recent experience. In the presses of moving and only had 2 bags of eco-complete (need about 5). Didn't have time to order so I went to my LFS and saw they are selling it for almost $35 a bag. I asked the person working the counter about the almost 100% markup and he just acted confused. Looking around a bit more and almost everything was overpriced. The only thing I would buy at a LFS is fish; everything else will be from a chain store or online.

As for capping, you are definitely limited if eco-complete is being blown around with your setup. Sand and blasting material are out of the question. If you want simply black you could go with estes spectrastone gravel. Personally though, I think having some specs of a different color makes it look more natural.

You might also want to change the direction of your filter output or look into a different nozzle/spray bar.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I just held back earlier lol. I just bought 4 more bags on amazon for $20.87 each with free two day shipping(=
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

Petco is usually the place to go for Eco-Complete, especially if there is a sale.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yep ....it's expensive in Canada...............none of the "free shipping" applies here in the Great White North..............it would cost more to order it and pay for shipping from Amazon

David
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

http://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Flourite-Black-7-Kilogram/dp/B0019J0ISU
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
wow, im not sure i would like it for that price either

sorry for your situation but i will say i enjoy the bag i bought when it comes to growing some plants

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Since we're talking about to eco complete.....i have some thats being delivered today. I already have eco complete in my tank, and was wondering can I just add more on top? Or do i need to mix the substrate together?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewq View Post
Since we're talking about to eco complete.....i have some thats being delivered today. I already have eco complete in my tank, and was wondering can I just add more on top? Or do i need to mix the substrate together?
You can just add it on top. I highly suggest NOT mixing up the substrate that is in there. You will cause an ammonia/nitrate spike and have a suped up mini cycle.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
try using a different bulb. you notice it is darker. i've bought 5 bags of eco, from 2 different stores at 3 different times, and they are all black. you might want to keep the eco, as it will absorb the nutrients in the water colum and stay nurtient filled. you don't have to replace it. where as with flourite and some others they run out of nutrients and start to break down over time, you will end up having to replace it.

you paid almost $33 a bag to ship it to your door, i feel ike you could have found it cheaper locally.

if you see eco for more than 25.99 anywhere it is over priced.

Part of the reason LFS equpiment is priced high, is because no one buys from LFS anymore, so we have to mark up a little more to make up money. if people would spend the couple bucks extra and buy local we could start to price things lower. that and buying local supports your community, and helps keep people employed.

Will

on Facebook.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nope I paid 27.99 per bag on sale regularly 34.99 each. That's what it goes for here in Canada. And it wasn't shipped I had to drive to get it. Anything that comes across your border into ours costs us more....it's just the way it is. I doubt that a different colour of bulb would help. I have a 6500 k and a 650nm rosette........optimal for plant growth. I bought 8 bags of black Flourite rinsed it and put it in my tank couldn't be happier.......

All of these horror stories regarding Flourite...........my experience with the black regular was a breeze........after moderate rinsing in my kitchen sink and hours later my tank is now very clear. With the Eco it took well over a week............

I honestly think that Eco is hype............not that its bad but I really doubt it is THAT much different than Flourite.

I might use the Eco for oil spills in my garage.........I hate it that much

Thanks David

Last edited by islanddave1; 07-24-2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: mistake
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddave1 View Post
Nope I paid 27.99 per bag on sale regularly 34.99 each. That's what it goes for here in Canada. And it wasn't shipped I had to drive to get it. Anything that comes across your border into ours costs us more....it's just the way it is. I doubt that a different colour of bulb would help. I have a 6500 k and a 650nm rosette........optimal for plant growth. I bought 8 bags of black Flourite rinsed it and put it in my tank couldn't be happier.......

All of these horror stories regarding Flourite...........my experience with the black regular was a breeze........after moderate rinsing in my kitchen sink and hours later my tank is now very clear. With the Eco it took well over a week............

I honestly think that Eco is hype............not that its bad but I really doubt it is THAT much different than Flourite.

I might use the Eco for oil spills in my garage.........I hate it that much

Thanks David
i wasn't paying attention but yeah its gonna be little more costly for you then. I'm using fourite for the first time on my betta tank. its pretty nice looking.we will see how it grows plants for me though.

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode