125 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)

i just bought a 125 tank and wanted to know what would i need to start up a planted tank?and info will be helpful.thanks
-tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try to find plant species that may suit your tank. If you are planning to keep discus in that tank, make sure your plants will tolerate the high temps your discus requires. I'll leave the rest to the other fellow members.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysdiscus View Post
i just bought a 125 tank and wanted to know what would i need to start up a planted tank?and info will be helpful.thanks
-tony
You are going to need lots of stuff. Where would you like to start? I am assuming from your nick that Discus are going in the tank and you already know how to care for them. If you are growing out small Discus, consider getting lights and filtration settled and leave the tank bare bottom. Get floaters and maybe a few tiger lotus in pots until the fish are sub-adults. Trying to grow out Discus in a heavily planted tank is a major PITA. Folks will now post that they have done it, still is a PITA and the fish will get bigger faster in a bare bottom with less likelihood ofl getting sick from eating rotten leftover food. If you plan on getting adult fish, decide if you want high tech/low tech and how heavily planted you want the tank. That decision will decide which fork in the road to take next......DC

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcome Tony.
If after reading DC's post you still want a planted tank take a look here:
Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

It's got a lot of really good info, and helped me get off on the right foot.

I have a 125, It's a big tank, and special considerations needs to be taken for circulation, and CO2 if you are adding it.

There were a few discussion here about big tanks, and their drawbacks. Search them out.

Take a look in the "your tanks" in the top right. See what others are using.

Other than that:
Take your time, take it slow, and plan things out. I'll save you money & headaches in the long run.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 11-30-2006 at 05:18 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

well, thank you very much for alll the help guys.and yes they are going to be adult discus.i currently breed them and figured that i needed a show tank in my house so this is going to be it.
-tony
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
well, thank you very much for alll the help guys.and yes they are going to be adult discus.i currently breed them and figured that i needed a show tank in my house so this is going to be it.
-tony
One big difference I have found with keeping Discus in a planted tank is their reaction to low O2 levels. Being a bigger fish, they can develop problems quickly if O2 levels drop. Since turbulence can outgas CO2, it is sometimes said a planted tank is better suited with low flow/low turbulence. Doing that makes it quite possible to attain low O2 levels in the tank. I have experienced problems with low O2 levels and actually killed Discus because it was not possible to raise the O2 levels quick enough to save them. Keep this in mind throughout your design stage; surely you already know the water & TDS requirements for Discus. A 125 gallon planted tank that has nano fish might have more O2 available than a 125 with 8-10 adult Discus.

Two sites I would recommend is Rex's and Chuck's. Rex's link has already been provided, here is Chuck's:
Chuck's Planted Aquaria Pages

The forums here contain outstanding information on equipping and setting up a planted tank. I would recommend before buying any equipment taking a weekend and searching them to identify what will work for you. I have links to what works for me below but that may not be what you are looking for so look around.

I have found Sterbai Corydoras handle the heat very well, I have over a dozen in a 110. Bristlenose, whiptail cats, farlowella, and golden nuggets also handle the heat well and are excellent janitors. I stocked 40 fish in a 110, 10 wild Discus and the rest were the janitors listed above. You want to ensure the uneaten food disappears, it has more hiding spots in a planted tank and can be missed by the Discus when they graze and butt each other around.

I have found a lot of plants do well in the 85F I keep my Discus tank at. If you decide on a high tech tank, let me know when you are ready and I will RAOK you some plants to get started......DC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
i just bought a 125 tank and wanted to know what would i need to start up a planted tank?
first year costs;
$250 for gravel, rocks, wood
$400 for lighting
$400 for filtration, UV & Heat
$350 for compressed Co2
$100 ferts, food, water testing
$300 fish & plants
$200 miscellaneous

so $2,000 should cover your realistic costs
to establish a high tech planted aquarium.

spend a good Month reading old threads and discussing your purchase
options with members here before buying anything beyond that tank.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks,for the info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode