I don't know what to do!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know what to do!!!

In terms of substrate, right now I have gravel, and I want to change to a fine substrate, I was thinking ADA Aquasoil Africana, and Powersand, but I don't know. Also How would I change it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Go for it dude!!!

As far as changing it out...yikes! Put your fish in a rubbermaid tub, drain the tank, scoop the gravel, pour in the AS refill the tank, maybe let it sit for a day or two, then add the fish. No small task, my friend.

Sol
90gal non-planted - gone - It sprung a leak and shattered
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 neons, lots of RCS, a few CRS, 3 Ottos, oogles of snails

- 100+ CRS, Red Ramshorn Snails

Questions about dosing nano tanks? Please
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
Go for it dude!!!

As far as changing it out...yikes! Put your fish in a rubbermaid tub, drain the tank, scoop the gravel, pour in the AS refill the tank, maybe let it sit for a day or two, then add the fish. No small task, my friend.
Man it's so funny you said that!!! I just got done tell my fiance, "I'll just throw them in the rubbermaid bins that we don't use anymore" ha ha!!! thanks man. You think they will be ok overnight?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great minds think alike

Yeah, I've kept fish for days in rubbermaids before. Just toss your heater in with them and they'll be totally fine. You don't really need a filter either as long as it's not more than a few days. Put the plants that you pull out in there with them for some au-natural filtration

Sol

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

awesome was planning on only keeping them in there for a day, maybe two at the most, but I wanted the environment to be as good, and established as possible! great!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, just fill the rubbermaid with the water you drain from your tank and you're all set....

Sol

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
I would still add an airstone to help circulate the water... Unless you don't care about losing any of your fish. Stagnant water WILL kill the fish.

Just my .02
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I was planning on using my Emporer 280 that is in the tank now, im not going to kill any fish. I think I am going to eventually get rid of the 280 and just use the fluval 205, do you think that's enough filteration for a 37?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Planted Member

Hi. You could move the fish (just to be safe) then siphon the gravel out. Depends on how much you have but in most cases it will come all out by the time you are at the 50% water mark. Then you can add the new substrate by submerging the open bag and letting it settle at the bottom. Another method is to use a 8-10oz. cup and submerging it close to the glass all the way to the bottom and "pouring" it at the bottom. I've never done it with the ADA stuff but i have done it with play sand wich is very fine grained. I hope this helps. If you have a hang-on filter laying around (as most of us do) it works great on the rubbermaid. Good Luck
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
I would think that the Fluval 205 wouldn't be enough for a 37 if it's heavily planted. I like to over filter anyway... But, I would be going with a 305 on a tank that size. I have a 404 for my 45 gal. tank if that gives you an idea... When I changed out my substrate, everything went smoothly. I took out all of the decor & plants, put them in a rubbermade bin, drained most of te water, added fish. Emptied my tank, cleaned it out of all gravel & sand I had in it. Rinsed it thouroughly, & added a think layer of peatmoss, mulm, & then the (rinsed) Soilmaster. After that I added my decor (rocks & driftwood), 1/3 of the water (fresh clean water), plants, & then fish... filled back up with old water, turned on my heater, filter, & let it be. Now my tank is going very well, lots-o-growth!

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode