Big changes are coming for my tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Big changes are coming for my tank.

I went out and purchases a new filter and heater tonight for an old 15 gallon tank that I can keep my fish in while I change substrate. I didnt really have plants in mine when i originally set the tank up years ago, and its just has cheap aquarium gravel now. I have caught the fever though, and want a beautiful planted tank like so many of you have. I have already updated my lighting, and feel it is adequate for my needs, although time will tell. For my next project, I am going to change substrate. Taking some advice that seems sound to me, (thank you Amberoze) I have decided to use an inch or so of miracle gro organic choice potting mix topped with an inch or so of black diamond blasting abrasive. I have a couple of questions though. 1. what is the best method for washing the sand? 2. how will the soil affect the nitrate in my water? I plan on leaving the 15gallon set up as a new quarantine tank, will it be necesary to keep the fish there for a while? 3. is there anything i should be prepared for that I might not have foreseen? Thank you in advance for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
when washing fine substrate, i like a 5 gallon bucket and a hose for large amounts and for smaller amounts i like a bowl and the sink

i love using miracle grow and it has given me a "green thumb"

your soil will leach stuff into the water for weeks and be prepared to let the tank cycle well. i add snails for the first few weeks and a bit of flake food to help the cycle. 2-3 weeks later a few fish. once your tank is cycled the nitrates should be no different then a normal tank

-be sure to use the organic choice potting mix in orange bag

-soak the dirt in the tank for as long as possible in the tank to get as much air out as possible before adding the cap

- dont make it to hard, i cut open the MG and pour it in, soak it, cap it, fill tank

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have an established biological filter, and plan to save 70% of the water that I is already established to reuse, I am also thinking about putting some of the existing substrate in a filter media bag to help with cycling. I am hoping that taking these measures will speed that process up. Its probably too much to to hope for, but I would love to see the nitrite stay at 0. I figure I can keep my fish in the quarantine tank and do regular water changes for a few weeks to deal with the nitrate and be back in business in a few weeks. Thank you for the tips!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode