eco-complete and ada - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
eco-complete and ada

So having a dilemma and can't seem to get answers anywhere. I bought a brand new 55 gallon and bought 2 bags of ada 9L and turns out it isn't enough and don't want to spend another $100 on substrate. I have eco-complete in my 29 that tearing down would it really be bad to put the eco-complete on the bottom and ada on top? Can't get a answer with a reason as to why from anyone thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Personally if ou invested in Ada soil already i would finish it with Ada. I also wouldn't use old substrate unless i was absolutely sure which is not possible it does not have problems like nemotodes scuds snails algae disease etc. not worth the cost for a new tank.

Nikon Pimp #82
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, I'm planning on at least 5 bags for my 55...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:03 PM

The benefits of using ADA soil are wonderful, and I use it in just about every tank I have. It is designed to be used as a top layer, with ADA's Power Sand as the bottom substrate. I wouldn't have a problem layering the ECO complete for a few reasons. The ECO complete since its been cycled in your existing isn't a bad idea as a bottom layer, because it will presumably have beneficial bacteria for the revamped tank. I would do a gentle rinse in tank water to clean it up a bit and filter out pesky snails. You might also consider conserving how you place the ADA soil. If you work the ADA soil around the rocks, wood, etc, specifically placing in the grow areas, you save soil. The areas where you are missing soil, you supplement with rocks, small pebbles, etc. for covering over the ECO complete. I place hard foam or egg trays in the rear of my tanks to help build a shelf of substrate, which would otherwise be wasted space in the rear.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
The dimensions of a standard 55 gallon aquarium are 48.25" x 12.75". Let's assume you want 3" of Aquasoil. That means you'll need 7.98 gallons of Aquasoil or 30.2 liters. That's about 3.3 9L bags.

I think you'll be fine with three bags - should give you more depth than you'll ever need. Honestly, two bags would be sufficient if you don't want sloping or anything.

I'm with the others - don't mix Aquasoil with something like Eco-Complete. There's no way to know what it has absorbed and the product has an established history of causing occasional (serious) problems in tanks by slowing releasing nasties, as it has a high CEC.

If you want to build things up a bit? Pick up some black lava rock from Home Depot and use it as a bottom layer. Then put your Aquasoil on top. Or better yet, spend the $50 to get another bag of Amazonia so you have exactly what you want without cutting corners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the reason I was going to layer it was to make it thicker, its about 2inchs thought I would need around 2.5-3in, just doing like a dutch tank so heavy planting.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
I would get more ADA soil if I were you.....you don't want to cut corners this early in the game, especially when you are just setting up the tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
i used less than 4 bags on a 75 gallon.
about 2.5 bags on a 57 gallon (36x18x20)

3 bags will be fine for a 55 gallon.

to the other person, 5 bags is overkill.

Eheim Pimp Club #190

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSo View Post
i used less than 4 bags on a 75 gallon.
about 2.5 bags on a 57 gallon (36x18x20)

3 bags will be fine for a 55 gallon.

to the other person, 5 bags is overkill.
I got some heavy sloping going on in both ends.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The finer-grained substrate will eventually work it's way to the bottom. As others said, one way to conserve ADA is to use it where you I tend to plant and use something else in the other areas. Amano does this all the time, putting a decorative sand where he isn't going to plant.

If your old tank was healthy, the Eco should be fine, but rinse it well first and remember that if layering, the two will eventually mx with the finer settling to the bottom.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode