Adding ADA Amazonia on top of Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (22/100%)
Adding ADA Amazonia on top of Flourite

Hello all,

I have a 4 gallon Nano tank that I am going to set up this weekend. I have a 3-liter bag of ADA Amazonia and small bag of ADA Bright Sand. I am pretty sure that I am going to have some Amazonia left over and probably some Bright Sand as well.

Question is: I have a fully planted 10 gallon that has been up and running for a long time. It has a pure red flourite substrate. Personally I am getting tired of staring at the same red substrate as it has no character (Amano's influence) and I feel that it doesnt help to show the plant colors off too well. I want to add the Amazonia on top of the Flourite, but not the entire bottom, just about half. The other half I may leave as Flourite or use the rest of the bright sand.

Has anyone else tried this? How much ADA Amazonia would I need in order to make it effective?

On a side note: I never "pull up" plants from the substrate. If I intend to move or remove them I will just cut them all the way at the substrate and leave the roots in the substrate. I personally feel this helps to airate the substrate as well as add nutrients. Maybe I am completely wrong. The point being that I can prevent the flourite from surfacing on top of the Amazonia. I also do not gravel vaccuum, I only surface vaccum the crap on top, I don't dig in.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (53/100%)
"On a side note: I never "pull up" plants from the substrate. If I intend to move or remove them I will just cut them all the way at the substrate and leave the roots in the substrate. I personally feel this helps to airate the substrate as well as add nutrients. Maybe I am completely wrong."

This is probably not a good idea....the reason is that the roots left in the substrate will decay and become anerobic, which will lead to a number of problems.

Personally, I think it would be a sin to mix ADA Aquasoil with anything. Keep it pure and you will be rewarded more than you know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:25 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I agree with Roy. No rrots should be left behind. If you are done with a plant, pull it out. Also you can certainly top off other substrates with AS. It will be fine, although pure AS will yeild better results. I do recommend topping it if you have soft water though.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
personally i would replace all the flourite and not mix it. You already dont like the color of the flourite- mixing it with AS looks fugly to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I definitely did not mix it, that would have been a very bad thing. I added the amazonia and bright sand on top of the flourite. You can't even see the flourite anymore, looks great. I will post before and after pictures sometime.

Ryan
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood View Post
I definitely did not mix it, that would have been a very bad thing. I added the amazonia and bright sand on top of the flourite. You can't even see the flourite anymore, looks great. I will post before and after pictures sometime.

Ryan
IMO- its the same thing. The sand will eventually end up on the bottom and the flourite mixed with AquaSoil. If you like it and its working well- i guess thats all that really matters.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Still looks good. Believe it or not when I pull up the plants the Flourite comes up as well, but the interesting thing is that all I have to do is push the flourite back down and its gone. The Flourite is heavier than the aquasoil so it just goes back to the bottom. The tank looks completely different I am so happy with it. I will post pictures sometime.

-Ryan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode