just dirt...no cap? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
just dirt...no cap?

I was curious if I could use only dirt as the substrate. I know most of you recommend a cap of some kind... but in nature, most bodies of water are only dirt on the bottom. I am in the process of mineralizing my top soil. I understand sand makes a bad cap due to the pressure of the water making it to dense for plants to grow in and it looking messy as well. someone give me a reason why I should not do this. In my head it seems like it should work. Thanks. Griffin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just put together an MTS tank, attempted no cap. The water will take a really long time to clear up, and you then have to deal with very cloudy water anytime you plant/uproot. Capping with gravel/sand reduces the amount of silt kicked up.

I have another MTS tank on the go...only put in 1/2" or so of gravel to cap it, so we'll see how that goes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so my thought was to do a immersed carpet of dwarf baby tears first... letting it fully developed before I even put water into the tank am I wrong to think that they root system of the baby tears will hold it down?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you do DSM for quite some time and really let things root well, it might work out. I did DSM with capped dirt and things are very well rooted now after 6+ months of being flooded. I break the cap when im doing water changes sometimes, and it doesn't kick up too much silt. It seems pretty well broken down.

That being said, I don't see why it would hurt to use a cheap capping material, even if inert like black blasting sand. The dirt doesn't really look that good, and it will be pretty messy to work with initially. Capping it makes it a bit more forgiving in that respect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Even a very thin cap is better than no cap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

It sounds like more headache than it's worth. Even a thin cap will do.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
I wouldn't even walk too close to a tank with no cap, fish wouldn't work out either. The mess of a cloud that would always be the tank...why not just fill a plastic cup with some dirt and add water? It needs a cap or what's the point in it? These things don't scale down to a glass tank that easily.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I will be attempting a no cap dirt tank. But its going to be my plant growout tank only. In your case, you will more than likely regret not using a cap down the road. But of coarse its your call.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

I have two tanks that have dirt only.
One is a tank with no filter system, and no livestock. The bottom looks pretty cool, very natural.
The other has an HOB filter (aqueon 20 in a 29 gallon tank) and a couple shrimp that I haven't been able to catch and that tank looks awful. I get a layer of fine dirt over everything. When I do a top up to quiet the filter things get very messy. Regardless how careful I am, the dirt blows all around.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So need a cap I may use fluorite... problem is is that would like to use the black sand but it seems pretty expensive to cap a 90 gallon tank. if anyone has any experience... how many bags do you think I'm going to need to do about a one inch cap...maybe even less
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
No cap = unstable water, murky tanned water, mushy mud mess, plants uproot, nightmare to plant!

From my personal experience.

Look in to black diamond sand blast. Comes in different sizes

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You need cap. I just flooded my 20g tank with dirt. Capped with an inch of fine gravel. Just your typical cloudiness from a new tank setup. No mess, no floating dirt... It was a fun process and I thought things will get messy.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode