planted tannk substrate help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
planted tannk substrate help

I am about to start my first planted tank, its going to be a low tech 10 gallon. What substrate would be the best? I was thinking about dirt and doing the walstad method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i assume your talking about what type of substrate would work as a cap?

ive capped dirt so far with play sand, petco black sand, eco complete, floramax

i think once you have a dirt bottom, it will supply alot of the important nutrients that plants need to thrive

after that its all about the looks and im partial to the sand bottom tanks

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There's a best for this, a best for that.. looking for natural colors with decent CEC? Try safetsorb, its $4-5 for a 40 lb bag. Black sand, blasting grit $8 for 50 lbs. White sand; definately silica filler, its a little fine grained, however it can look stunning. That again runs about 8 bucks a fifty pound bag.

Then, eco/f max costs between $15 and $20 a bag(20lbs?) Good CEC, but too lightweight. I think it looks nice sprinkled over blasting grit.

Then you get into active substrates, but that's probably not something you normally want to use as a cap.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I meant for the main substrate to plant the plants in, not to cap with. Sorry if you guys got confused.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
The best substrate for planted tanks is Aquasoil. I don't think there is really much of an argument there. It's just not the cheapest though, which is why people use other things. I've tried Aquasoil, plain gravel, sand capped over dirt, and fluval shrimp stratum, and Aquasoil was better than the others in every way.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Please do not post the same question across multiple subforums.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode