Soilmaster Select PH?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Soilmaster Select PH??

Just migrated fish/plants/canisters/driftwood to a new tank. Used Soilmaster Select (Charcoal color) as my substrate. Typically my PH from tap is 6.6 - 6.8. Post setup and transfer, PH is 5.8. Anyone else see this when using SM Select?

At this rate, my PH controller will not allow any CO2 in my tank (set for 6.1PH).

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Increase your KH by adding some Baking Soda. That will bring up your pH and add some buffer to your system

High Tech:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
i used the soilmaster soil conditioner red and had no effect on PH that i can tell. of course im using the milwaukee PH controller too, but it seems to be on more than it it off. my tap ph is 8.0

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wonder if my probe from the PH controller got dry during my tank swap and needs recalibrated? Possibly.... Hmmm.

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I have SMS in my 46 and it caused no effect on the PH.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just in case, I recalibrated PH probe for my SMS122. It was off, but in the wrong direction. PH read 5.5 after recalibration. Did a 50% water change and got it to 5.8. Will this adjust after time? I am afraid to turn on CO2 for fear PH change even worse.

Thanks,

Ted

post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did some additional testing.

Hardness readings as follows:

GH -- 7-8dGH (125.3-143.2PPM)
KH -- 0-1dKH (0-17.9PPM)

Pre-move to new tank, KH was 1-2dKH.

Thanks,

Ted

post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Someone please help. PH is now 5.2....

Thanks,

Ted

post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
Damn! Sorry, I can't help. I used SMS Charcoal, & I didn't have any PH swings that I noticed... I'll double check tonight... I don't run CO2 so, I can't help you there either.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:55 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
keep doing water changes until whatever contaminant in there is gone. There is obviously something in the soilmaster casuing this, unless something else was changed. Did you add something new other than the substrate? A new kind of rock or wood or something?
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The only thing other than the Soilmaster Select, was the rocks used in the retaining wall below:

Changed out filter floss in fluvals, thats about it. (product in bags on driftwood is old substrate to add to bio).

Oh, and it is amazing how pesky duck-weed grows. Lynn, I think there was like two pieces in the plants you sent . This weekend I dumped about 3,000pieces in my pond outside for the goldfish to enjoy!

Thanks,

Ted

post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Don't you think that big peice of wood could be leaching tannins into the water causing some change in pH? What was your pH before you moved the sms into the tank with your previous substrate? What was your previous substrate?

post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That driftwood was in prior with no issues. Substrate was gravel prior with PH around 6.8 out of tap and around 6.2 with CO2 injection. This is now in the 5.2-5.6 range without any CO2. Only add were those rocks in the picture and the Soilmaster Select substrate.

Ted

post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:29 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Sorry about the Duckweed....Bob gave me some with some plants and it is forever multiplying...lol
I keep netting it out. Eventually it will be all gone.

As for the pH issue....

This is what I think you should do. Since the Soilmaster typically does not lower pH and your driftwood is established already, this is what I think you should do.

Take all of the retaining wall rock out and place it in a bucket. Add tap water and let it sit overnight. After placing the rocks in a bucket, do a waterchange 50-60% in your tank SANS rock.
The next day, test the pH in the bucket with the rock in it. <Just bring the bucket up to the level of the meter, and test it...>

You answer will likey be found after this experiment.

Let me know!
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Why can't all plants be as easy as duckweed to grow???

FYI -- PH was making progress, but again plummeted to 5.2 this morning.

I think my current test in progress should yeild same results as your recommendation. Let me know if not:

3 - equal size containers w/ equal amounts of tap water.

cup 1 - only tap water
cup 2 - tap water and hardscape rock
cup 3 - tap water and Soilmaster Select from tank

I am going to let sit til this afternoon. Then test PH of all three. Tap is typically 6.8. Tank previously was 6.6 and then 6.2 w/ CO2.

I sure hope it is the rocks, but I cannot imagine that those few could do this much to the amount of water I have.

Also, the only other thing I did was to clean this new (dusty) tank with a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar. I realize that is acidic, but it was just used to mist/wipe the inside of the tank... couldn't be it, could it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode