Aqua Soil topped off with sand?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aqua Soil topped off with sand??

I just purchased 3 bags of Malaya ADA aqua soil. I am using it for a 72g bowfront. I am wondering that if I top if off with sand, will it affect it's ability to affect the water.

Also, I want to know where I can find some tan colored sand to top it off. I've never seen a fine light brown or tan sand. All I have seen is play/pool sand that is usually not fine and a lighter shade. Or should I just order some ada powder form? I only want a 1" think layer. Would it mix into the aqua soil? I'm thinking no because why would they sale the powder.

Thanks, you all are a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 01:12 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
you can find tan sand here.

ADA Substrate System
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Someone explain this to me

It is an efficient, stand alone substrate. Why would you want to cap it? There has been a lot of chatter about mixing it with other substrates and capping it. I continue to be very confused as to why someone would want to do that? Would you explain to me, sixerfan?

Realize this. When you are mixing substrates, the smaller grained of the two substrates is going to work its way under the larger grained substrate. Unless some sort of barrier is placed between the two substrates, the mixing is inevitable. So, your sand over your Aqua Soil is going to wind up being your sand under your Aqua Soil.

Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
It is an efficient, stand alone substrate. Why would you want to cap it? There has been a lot of chatter about mixing it with other substrates and capping it. I continue to be very confused as to why someone would want to do that? Would you explain to me, sixerfan?

Realize this. When you are mixing substrates, the smaller grained of the two substrates is going to work its way under the larger grained substrate. Unless some sort of barrier is placed between the two substrates, the mixing is inevitable. So, your sand over your Aqua Soil is going to wind up being your sand under your Aqua Soil.

Mike
Oh so if i put Flourite under Pool filter sand or Tahitian moon sand it will end up on top ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post

Mike
It is for looks, I do not like the beaded look of aquasoil. Sand just looks more natural to me. It's the same reason adg offers powder form.

I am worried about it seeping into the aqua soil. I just prefer sand as a top layer, and so do the fish that I have kept. I'm just trying to find the best way to go as changing substrate is not fun down the road.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Oh so if i put Flourite under Pool filter sand or Tahitian moon sand it will end up on top ?
Yes. The Flourite will eventually end up on top.

Mike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
It is for looks, I do not like the beaded look of aquasoil. Sand just looks more natural to me. It's the same reason adg offers powder form.

I am worried about it seeping into the aqua soil. I just prefer sand as a top layer, and so do the fish that I have kept. I'm just trying to find the best way to go as changing substrate is not fun down the road.
In that case I would use 100% sand- don't waste your money on AS if you are just going to cover it with sand. If you insist on mixing it...well, the sand WILL seep into the AS and you will have even a MORE unnatural looking substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode