Is it bad to blame soil as to dieing plants? HELP. Suggestions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (226/100%)
Is it bad to blame soil as to dieing plants? HELP. Suggestions.

I've grown plants just fine in Amazonia AquaSoil II.. I've recently set up a new 40B grow tank and found some used aquasoil for sale locally..

I've had nothing but struggles in this new setup...

I have the ferts i need, equipment, co2... you name it..

I even had my previously old setup of aqua soil, which i purchased brand new, growing plants just fine..

Attempting a test, i decided to add some of the used-aquasoil, i purchased, to my setup that was going just fine (to add depth)... the plants all begin to suffer just like how the plants in the 40B are...

I talked to the previous owner of the soil, and he said he was experimenting on how to kill types of algae.. he dumped too much h2o2 and he quickly realized that it was too much.. he drained the tank and let the soil sit out in the sun to dry up.. parts of the soil turned into dust.. by this whole process, did it kill the key elements in the soil that you get when you purchase brand new??

what do you suggest that I do? its been over a month and nothing is getting better... i purchased 100's of dollars worth of plants and they all seem to be not doing well... even simple plants such as rotalas, ludwigias, and blyxa are showing signs of melting in the leaves and stems...

Im thinking of just starting new again, and purchasing new soil..

Help??

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40B Dutch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebi's Planted Factory | Rack Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I wonder if peroxide is the only thing he tried for killing algae. Perhaps he tried bleach, which could harm the plants if not all flushed out. Peroxide has a very limited life, so it is almost impossible for that to be the problem. What light are you using on the 40B tank?

Hoppy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (226/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I wonder if peroxide is the only thing he tried for killing algae. Perhaps he tried bleach, which could harm the plants if not all flushed out. Peroxide has a very limited life, so it is almost impossible for that to be the problem. What light are you using on the 40B tank?
thanks for chiming in..

I work at a LFS, and I was able to get FINNEX into our store.

So, i kinda went Finnex LED crazy...

right now, I have 2 x 36" Ray2's, 1 x 36" FugeRay, & 1 x 36" MonsterRay..
I have a glass canopy on, and it does cut down on the PAR greatly.. ( I know its still a ton)

Just measured PAR with your DIY meter and with 2 1/2 inches of substrate PAR is around 100 in the center..

I have the following ferts from nilocg.

KNO3
KH2PO4
Plantex CSM+B
Iron Chelate

I have no livestock so I bump up my CO2 until the drop checker becomes golden yellow.. Co2 is hooked up to a Ista Reactor and I have an additional Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump (600gph) on the opposite side of outflow.

I have a PennPlax Cascade 700 filter.

-Mike

40B Dutch

Ebi's Planted Factory | Rack Build

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)
Dear goodness tooooo much PARRRRRRRR.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It sure looks like the used Aquasoil is the problem. And, when someone says they have been experimenting, I think you have to wonder what all of the experiments were. So, it is very possible that one of the experiments left a residue of something that kills plants. Generally anything that will kill algae will also kill plants if used in a much higher concentration.

Hoppy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd lean towards it being the soil as well. Did he say if he is still running a tank and why he changed the substrate? Maybe he had to replace it and was trying to make a quick buck on the side. Most people would never dream of doing this to someone - but there is always one that will and don't care if they cost someone hundreds of dollars in stock in the meantime.

Can you pull some of the plants and "quarantine" them away from the soil and see if they get better and perk up after being away from it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
I'd clean the soil out a ton and then test it on a plant. If it still fails, toss it all into the trashcan and get new stuff or soil from your yard instead.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
he is referign to me and i used the H2O2 to kill the algae, nothing else was used, i have some of the same soil and currently testing and growing blyxa japonica in it and its doing fine, i will report back soon.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mike i have sent you many messeges and called you as well but never heard anything back from you. before i sold the soil i have told you everything about it. the reason i sold it because i already taken it out of my tank after overdosing H2O2 and did not want to create a mess by adding back to my tank as i already told you some of the soil was broken down by the h2o2. adding it back would have created a dusty water and i wasnt ready to do many water changes. but you manage to fix that, but i still dont think soil is the problem, i have the same soil taken out for my nano and i took some soil from it added in a pot, its in my main tank and Blyxa is ready to split again. is your water parameter same as other tanks and are you dosing same fert in all of them? if you are not happy with it am willing to give you money back and i will add extra cash to it. am sorry for all the trouble but i still think soil is not the problem, otherwise i would see it too.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
I'd lean towards it being the soil as well. Did he say if he is still running a tank and why he changed the substrate? Maybe he had to replace it and was trying to make a quick buck on the side. Most people would never dream of doing this to someone - but there is always one that will and don't care if they cost someone hundreds of dollars in stock in the meantime.

Can you pull some of the plants and "quarantine" them away from the soil and see if they get better and perk up after being away from it?
everybody isnt the same as you think, i used the soil for nano and DHG was growing fine in it, i decided to sell it or i was going to throw it away anyway. i sold it for $30 even though i was asking higher price. you relly think i would cheat for $30? i can trim 3 plant in my tank and make the same money. buyer knew everything about the soil. i tested the soil before selling it and found no problem with it otherwise i would not risk anything just for $30

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

here is the pic of Blyxica, don't confuse the golden color with melting, i have very high light.

Last edited by happi; 01-26-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Tags
problems, used aqua soil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode