Gravel and sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gravel and sand?

I bought some dwarf cories earlier this week and am thinking of putting some sand in my tank for them to dig around in. One corner of my tank doesn't have any plants in it, so it would be easy to kind of slide the gravel away, and replace it with sand.

But in thinking aesthetically, I'm wondering if sand would look better covering the entire bottom, instead of just a corner. If I decide to do that, can I just put a layer of sand over my gravel? Or should I replace the gravel with sand?

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated - thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
No hard fast rules there. You can add sand over gravel, gravel over sand. There are folks that use sand to make small areas in their tank and it looks really good. Expect that your water will likely be cloudy awhile after adding it.

If you search the forum, you'll find pics of others who have done it and it looks better than you are probably imagining.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
if you add sand ontop of gravel sooner or later all the sand will work its way to the bottom.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
FWIW my dwarf corys dig in my flourite endlessly, and their barbels are fine.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for your input/feedback everyone. I do appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts.

I kind of figured the sand would eventually sift down - so if I were to go with sand, I should probably start over. Good to know, though, that the regular gravel probably won't hurt the cories.

I have a 5 gallon hex I may set up for them with sand. Or, I may redo the 12 gal tank at some point, or at least put in a dish of sand (a sandbox! ) but for now, I'll just enjoy watching them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode