Tahitian Moon Sand......? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Tahitian Moon Sand......?

Anybody know if the Tahitian Moon Sand actually effects PH, GH, KH in any way? It says it doesn't, but Lots of products say that.....

Anybody know from Experience?

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naja002; 11-08-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
its crushed onyx so no should not effect your water in any way. Onyx is inert.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Tahitian moon sand is not crushed onyx. Tahitian moon sand is inert where as onyx is not. Onyx raises hardness in the water.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
I have it and haven't seen any differences and I love the way it is. I have it mixed in with my eco-complete now as a filler (since I already had it) and it works great, settles immediately too.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiwane View Post
Tahitian moon sand is not crushed onyx. Tahitian moon sand is inert where as onyx is not. Onyx raises hardness in the water.
humm.. I had read a listing of diff rock types and it has onyx listed as inert.
trying to find that listing. then again maybe my LFS was just trying to pass crushed onyx as TMS.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I use it for exactly the fact that it doesn't affect water parameters. I like the look of it and it works great in my shrimp tanks that I need to keep pH low...no buffering.

Eheim Pimp #161
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Tahitian Moon sand is inert.

There may be a little confusion here because Seachem markets a product called Onzx Sand and it contains carbonates. Onyx Sand

Seachem also markets a product called Gray Coast Calcite. This is exactly the same product as Onyz Sand. The only difference is the bag and the amount of substrate that is included. Onzx Sand comes in 7 kg bags and Gray Coast Calcite comes in 10 kg bags. Gray Coast
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
humm.. I had read a listing of diff rock types and it has onyx listed as inert.
trying to find that listing. then again maybe my LFS was just trying to pass crushed onyx as TMS.
Onyx is deff. not inert. It will raise hardness, I am 100 percent sure on this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Banned

There are more than one material refered to as onyx.

Onyx is silicone oxide (SiO2) or a microcrystalline form of quartz which is inert.

The other Onyx is the Seachem substrate which is not inert.

Here's a good article about onyx: Re: Dark Substrate

Here's some quotes from the fins.actwin.com article listed above:

"Onyx is pretty inert - about as active as diamonds."

"The mineral onyx (a form of quartz) is chemically inert as all get out."

"The substrate material marketed under the trade name "Onyx"...may contain significant amounts of Ca and Mg plus their carbonates, which can change your water hardness a lot."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Onyx Sandô is not chemically coated or treated but does have a slight buffering capacity that may raise pH by 0.1 - 0.5 pH units (depending on source water characteristics).
Seachem Onyx

Thanx Everybody! I just bought 2 more baby A. javanicus' and I am going to use the Tahitian Moon Sand for the Substrate, but I needed to make sure it was inert because I need an acidic PH. The only plant at this point will be Hornwort since its low-light and floats, so I don't have to worry about trying to keep it rooted.

Many Thanx!

Last edited by Naja002; 11-08-2006 at 01:02 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
I think I will Be putting Flourite under Tahitian Moon Sand Once i decide to fully plant the 10 gallon with the Tetras.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

You may not like the results that you get from the Flourite/Tahitian Moon combo. What happens over time is that the small particles settle to the bottom and the larger particles are usually on the top. It make look bad after a while. Eco-Complete may be a better choice because it is black like the Tahitian Moon.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591
ok thanks i will go with 100% flourite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode