Need Instructions about Setting Up 10g Tank with MGOPM , Preparation of Substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need Instructions about Setting Up 10g Tank with MGOPM , Preparation of Substrate

Hi. I have been reading this forum for a while, and I'm ready to take the plunge into the unknown and set up my 10g with MGOPM and a black Petco sand cap. I need to know how to prepare the soil, what size sieve to use for getting out organics (wood), and whether using a sieve of non-metal window screen and going from bucket to bucket to get the soil separated from the water is a good idea. I don't like the idea of drying, and have no place to do it anyway. I'd like to hear other suggestions too.

Thanks,
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
here is what i did.

--for a 40 gal.

Open bag of MGOPM
Dump whole bag in empty tank
Level MGOPM
Compact it as much as possible

open sand cap
wash it
Place sand cap on top of MGOPM trying not to disturb the underlayer
level sandcap
compact both layers by hand

slowly fill with water to about 1" above sand cap
compact again

finish filling tank slowly
plant and done.

water will be cloudy but not muddy, not even close. need to keep cleaning the filter media pretty often to flush out all the particles.

and no I did no sifting of the MGOPM, I didn't even take out any twigs. What was in the bag is in my tank.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
To avoid stirring up the substrate place a clean trash over the substrate then fill. It will help tons! And won't disturb your substrate.

Pour mgo
Sand cap
Trash bag
Fill half way
Plant
Finish filling cupping the water before it hits the tank to avoid disturbing the substrate

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
when I filled I used the good ol python

my wife manned the faucet and I put my hand over the end of the hose to disperse the inflow.

even at that we probably spent 30 min to fill it. nice and slow.

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
The bag over the substrate works wonders that'a a personal preference

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda

Last edited by dtejeda.arias; 07-07-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have 4 Miracle Gro tanks, and here is what I do:

1. Put cap material around the perimeter of your tank. I use pieces of cardboard to keep it separate from the soil. Way more attractive than the layered look you get if you don't do this. Doesn't have to be thick. Mine is about 1/2" all the way around.

2. Sift it. I did not do that in my first two tanks, and I lived to regret it. Everytime I do anything in there, more chunks end up on the cap. Almost any strainer will do, since the pieces are pretty big. Window screen is probably overkill, but the only downside is that you need more soil to get to your final amount. I use a 4 buck cheapie plastic colander.

3. Once it is sifted, put it on in! Keep it off your cap material around the sides. I personally use 1" of soil. If you need more height somewhere, use rocks or eggcrate underneath the soil.

4. Level it out, lightly compact, and mist gently with a sprayer. I find that keeps the dust down, and keeps your sand on top where it belongs.

5. Add sand gently. I use a 1" cap. Other people use half that, but I have had trouble with thin caps. Never again.

6. Put a plastic bag or a piece of bubble wrap over the substrate, and fill gently. Remove the bag or wrap, and give it an hour to settle. Then drain it 80%, plant, refill carefully, and start your filter up. Your water should be clear, with no floaters.

7. It takes quite a while for the soil to get waterlogged, and settle down. Until that happens, poke it with a chopstick a couple times a week. If you have a lot of plant roots, you won't need to do this as much. Yet another reason to plant heavily from the beginning.

8. Most things are fixable in dirt tanks. Don't despair if you break the cap, just pour some more sand in the area. Use some kind if plastic brace on slopes. Dirt is soft, and levels out quickly.

9. Step back and watch your plants take off! I don't use cO2, just Excel occasionally. As a result, the amount of ferts I need to supplement is very low. That will change with time, but for now it is really low maintenance.

DBP Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for all the good information. Any other suggestions, remarks, what do I have to look out for?

Thanks,
Steve
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Thanks for all the good information. Any other suggestions, remarks, what do I have to look out for?

Thanks,
Steve
I'm also wondering about compacting the MGOPM. I figure it's to minimize air bubbles in the substrate, but isn't there more risk of anaerobic areas, or can the water or roots get down there?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I'm also wondering about compacting the MGOPM. I figure it's to minimize air bubbles in the substrate, but isn't there more risk of anaerobic areas, or can the water or roots get down there?
The plants will find the MGOPM and will root into there. You'll see bubbles but most of the time it will be CO2. Every once in a while, poke small sections of the substrate with a bamboo skewer to release any built up gas.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok, anyone have pics of 10g tanks with MGOPM to encourage me? Thanks!

Last edited by Django; 07-09-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Add Thankyou

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode