Can you mix or layer floramax with MGPS and cap with filter sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you mix or layer floramax with MGPS and cap with filter sand?

I was considering either mixing MGPS with the floramax or making the floramax a bottom layer topped by MGPS and capped with sand. I want make sure there is enough FE over the long run. I will have burrowing trumpet snails and cory catfish in the tank so I want the top layer to not be irritating to these species as they work the substrate. This is intended to be a low tech tank without co 2 with low light plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you put floramax on the bottom, under the soil or mixed with it, then a decent layer of sand to prevent gravel shifting upwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
From most of the posts I've seen on here about blasting grit and cories, it seems like water quality is more of a concern then abrasiveness of substrate.

I'm not real sure there is any reason to use the expensive stuff if you are going to go with dirt and capping, Just go with strait dirt, and a cap for that, and save yourself some money. According to Walstad, most soil should provide adequate iron for quite a while (I forget the actual length of time, and don't have the book with me now, but I think it was in the years range).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks. I have purchased some bags of this and Black Carib. I think I will just return them. The feedback I've seen so far is that soil tanks outperform those with Floramax.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
We have two 10 gallons set up with one of Miracle grow organic soil and one with floramax both capped with black diamond blasting sand. The soil tank outgrows the flora tank hands down - significantly. Same hood, same lights, same filter, same plants (mostly) - the only difference is the bottom substrate. After watching the growth for several months, we won't ever use anything except soil in our tanks. Love it!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

Flora-Max can be used on the bottom layer as a form of laterite. This should provide your plants with a good amount of iron, but i would still advise you to add red clay to the soil.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode