Miracle Gro Orangic Issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Miracle Gro Orangic Issues

Has anybody else ever had issues using this as a base substrate. Issues meaning harmful or deadly for fish/shrimp.

I currently have it in my 29G and 10G. Both are capped with another substrate and do not contain a lot of the miracle gro.

The 10G has recently turned into a cherry shrimp tank. I got some shrimp locally and within 2 weeks there were hundreds of babies in the tank. Now, a month or so later, I can count 3. There are also two ghost shrimp that have been in the tank since it was first set up. Is this an issue with the miracle gro or ghost shrimp?

The 10G is topped with regular sand, no traces of nitrate, nitrite or ammonia and was cycled before fish ever went in it originally.

In my 29G I use to have a bunch of bright red Cherries as well and over time they disappear.

Thoughts?

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation MGOPS not really worth it!

I am using MGOPS capped with sand. I did a 6.5 week dry start method with crypts, HC, DHG, and a bunch of anubias. When I flooded the tank on Thursday I figured that the soil and mineralized and gone through it's processes. This is not the case, in fact I noticed the substrate bubbling right away. When I run my hand through the substrate it releases TONS of smelly gas bubbles. Hydrogen Sulfide! Aside from turning some roots black it doesn't seem to be hurting anything yet. But, I don't have any animals in the tank yet. Daily it shows zero Ammonia, Nitrite, etc... but the organic process is still decaying matter into HS. That could be your problem. As far as I know HS does not dissolve into the water column but it shrimp are near it when it releases it can kill.

Last edited by DogChristopher; 07-06-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: misspell
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogChristopher View Post
I am using MGOPS capped with sand. I did a 6.5 week dry start method with crypts, HC, DHG, and a bunch of anubias. When I flooded the tank on Thursday I figured that the soil and mineralized and gone through it's processes. This is not the case, in fact I noticed the substrate bubbling right away. When I run my hand through the substrate it releases TONS of smelly gas bubbles. Hydrogen Sulfide! Aside from turning some roots black it doesn't seem to be hurting anything yet. But, I don't have any animals in the tank yet. Daily it shows zero Ammonia, Nitrite, etc... but the organic process is still decaying matter into HS. That could be your problem. As far as I know HS does not dissolve into the water column but it shrimp are near it when it releases it can kill.
I don't know a whole lot about H2S (is that right?) but maybe something I write will help you.

How deep is your substrate? H2S is produced by anaerobic bacteria. In order to remedy the situation, reduce the substrate to 1-1/2 to 2" and do a thorough vacuming if the substrate is gravel. Alternatively, you can poke around with a chopstick and release the gas, but you also have to solve the underlying problem.

How is your tank water circulation. Sound like you might want to increase it if possible. My HOB works better in the middle of the back side of the tank.

Plants - plant roots oxygenate the substrate. If need be, try putting in some more plants, maybe a small sword or other plants that have a large root structure.

Good luck!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've had MGOS in 5 tanks for over 7 months with no issue. I haven't had it in a shrimp tank though - except for ghost shrimp. My plants in the soil tanks grow better than any other tanks in the house, I will probably never use anything but soil capped with black diamond blasting sand or SafeTsorb again, saves so much money and so much better than anything else we have tried.

I have one 10 gallon with only ghost shrimp in it, trying to get them to breed and it worked wonderfully but they need many, many dense hiding spots because ghost shrimp eat their young. Not saying they ate all your cherry shrimp but it is a possibility for sure that it is happening.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have MGOPS capped with eco in my Mini-M and I have ~30 or so juvie RCS's right now. I didn't even really mineralize it; I just got some handfuls of it and sifted out twigs and rocks and stuff, then just threw it in the tank and then the eco on top of it. I did a DSM for ~2 months before flooding and saw no issues.

20g High Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Low Tech Desk Tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I don't know a whole lot about H2S (is that right?) but maybe something I write will help you.

How deep is your substrate? H2S is produced by anaerobic bacteria. In order to remedy the situation, reduce the substrate to 1-1/2 to 2" and do a thorough vacuming if the substrate is gravel. Alternatively, you can poke around with a chopstick and release the gas, but you also have to solve the underlying problem.

How is your tank water circulation. Sound like you might want to increase it if possible. My HOB works better in the middle of the back side of the tank.

Plants - plant roots oxygenate the substrate. If need be, try putting in some more plants, maybe a small sword or other plants that have a large root structure.

Good luck!
Yeah, I've increased the circulation. I may just have to drain it and siphon off a bit of substrate, then replant and flood. Thanks for the advice. I've kinda left it alone for 24 hrs so the detritus will settle and I can actually see what is going on, but I think maybe draining it, lessening the substrate and replant may be the best way.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Algae Grower

I have no problems with it in my 10 gallon betta / shrimp tank. I do make sure to use a thick layer of sand to keep any nutrients from leaching into my water.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
MGOP SOIL

or did you use

MGOP MIX

my mgopM never ever made my tank look like that, maybe is was all the "running fingers through it"

SOIL thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=369025

--mine bubbled a lot the first 2 months, now it is seldom, won't hurt anything

20L My Other Tank: OEBT Shrimp
40B Inlaws Tank: 2 goldfish
75 Main Tank w/ sump: 5 Glossolepis pseudoincisus, 5 Melanotaenia boesemani, 10 Melanotaenia praecox, 5 Melanotaenia lacustris, some cories, a bn pleco and rainbow fish fry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode