Other schultz question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Other schultz question

I just bought some schultz to set up another tank. Iwas thinking about putting in a 1 inch layer of potting soil. Should I also put in both laterite and peat under the soil or just one of those. Also since it is to be fairly heavily planted, do I start EI dosing or lay off dosing for a few months? I will be adding DIY co2 and will have aprox. 4wpg. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would use both laterite and peat. I would pass on the potting soil.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
Def pass on the potting soil. Most are enriched with ammonical nitrogen. Witch translates to high ammonia content in your tank. for plants only this may be desirable. However if there is any kind of fauna they will most likley die.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 20 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6Gal Nano Journal

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Red face re:rex and blacksunshine

I wasnt planning to add any fish until it started filling in the groundcover. I was planning to use glosso since I have a bunch I left floating in my 55g. I am also going to add some of the new stem plants I got 2 wks ago. They are curently in my 55. Iam in the process of building a canopy for this tank that measures 30x12x17high. Im guessing its a 40g tank. I plan on using 2 spiral compact fl. bulbs with mirror reflectors that I am making. I plan on starting out with an old penguin 300 biowheel filter and diffusing in DIY co2 + excel. I hope to upgrade to a canister filter later. Im trying to do one of those beautiful Amano or Tom Barr type tanks with the great low forgrounds and fluffy colorful backgrounds. Also I cant afford the special ADA Aquasoils etc. to accomplish this so I thought why not try going with potting soil and schultz on top. Any other comments and suggestions are NEEDED. THANKS in advance.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Red face re:rex and blacksunshine

I understand the hesatation on using potting soil. I bought Diane Whalbergs book Ecology Of THe Planted Tank and tried to get as close to the type of potting soil she used as I could find at my home depot, but all of the warnings are making me afraid to go that rought so I guess Ill go w/ the laterite and peat. How much laterite and peat do I use, just a dusting of each under the schultz or more?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Use the recommended amount of laterite. As for peat, I would really hesitate unless you are having a 3"+ deep substrate. Reason being.....shultz is VERY light and if you ever uproot a plant that has deep roots....you will have peat floating around the tank. Almost gaurunteed.
Quote:
Also since it is to be fairly heavily planted, do I start EI dosing or lay off dosing for a few months
Many people suggest EI or other dosing methods straight off. Esp. if it's heavily planted. Definitely do CO2 right off. I've heard of many folks doing JUST co2, and waiting for any other nutrient dosing until they see the signs of deficiency....sounds like an interesting way to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode