Schultz aquatic plant soil. Questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Schultz aquatic plant soil. Questions.

Hullo all. I'm having some difficulty finding substrates for my price range.

The cheapest substrate I've found is schultz aquatic soil in a local Home Depot, which sells 10 lb bags for just over 6$. I've heard a lot of conflicting information about this guy, that it has a higher iron content and CEC than fluorite, that it grows plants well, that it grows them horribly, that it's very fertile, that it's devoid of nutrients... well you get my point.

I've looked at countless substrate comparisons but the most detailed and scientific ones generally just look at laterite/sand/garden soil/gravel compositions instead of the most popular commercial products. The most consistent bit of information seems to be that it is incredibly light, but I can deal with that.

My first question: should I get it? at 6$ a bag, there isn't much risk involved except for the time of setup.

My second question: should I enrich it? I've heard that people put a small layer of peat moss at the bottom. Also, I already have a bag of laterite which I could put in there if the substrate is indeed devoid of nutrients (specifically iron).

Any help or direction would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I can tell you that I use it and like it, but it's very, very light.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You can get a lot of good info reviews about it by using the search function for schultz.

I like the stuff, but it is very light. I have used peat as a thin layer under, and if you don't pull up your plants much, it is great, but if you move your plants a lot, you end up with peat in the water and it takes a while to settle again.

You can use some regular gravel mixed in or on top to help hold your plants in. Don't know about nutrient value... I wouldn't think it has much if any, but my plants grow well in it with just a little fert dosing in the water.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
One thing that I didn't find was good pics. Here are pics of schults. It's my tank as a baby ^_^

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...you-think.html
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
I dig the stuff. I have never heard a bad thing about it.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Here is chuck gadd's review of what he calls "profile".

He adds that the CEC is very high. This means that while the material itself may not hold many nutrients, it has the capacity to hold nutrients from the water and detritus in a form that's available for plant use.

here's a quick definition for cation exchange capacity

I don't think Shultz has higher Fe than fluorite....but possibly a better CEC.

I would definitely use laterite especially if you already have it. it's heavy so won't float up like peat would. This shultz stuff is like AIR man, it's practically weightless!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Here mine 5.5g that has 100% Schultz. You can't even see it anymore since it is servely over grown right now. I cut up some Seachem tabs into quaters and spread them around the bottom before I put the Schlutz over it. The Compact sword and Hygro love it. I have to take dwarf sag and Micro Swords out about once a week. I am saving them to start a bigger tank.

High Tech:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
10 lb bag for $6 is not worth it if you ask me.

Why not just use plain gravel with a layer of peat moss and a box of laterite?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg View Post
10 lb bag for $6 is not worth it if you ask me.

Why not just use plain gravel with a layer of peat moss and a box of laterite?
I thought that the main advantage schultz had over regular gravel was the fact that it has a much higher CEC.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
DOH! FD3S just told me about this stuff and I was pretty excited about it, mainly the cost. I was hoping that it was darker in color though because I wanted to mix it in with my eco-complete. Several of you say that it's extremely light but, does it (and it alone) cloud up the water when disturbed?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridS130 View Post
DOH! FD3S just told me about this stuff and I was pretty excited about it, mainly the cost. I was hoping that it was darker in color though because I wanted to mix it in with my eco-complete. Several of you say that it's extremely light but, does it (and it alone) cloud up the water when disturbed?
nahh so long as you rinse it good before tossin in the tank when you move it around the mess is minimal.
As to mixing with eco.. I wouldn't. the colors are very different and would look kinda funky. You might consider layering it tho with the Eco on top of the schultz. But again it will eventually get mixed and make is way to the top and will look funky. But if you're planting heavly you may not even notice it because it will be under a layer of green plants. Personally I like Schults more then Eco. Eco seems too much like crushed up lava rock where schults is more of a light clay.

btw- I wanna see your car.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to HybridS130
I would like to plant heavily but I already have so much rock and my lighting isn't the greatest. I guess the 60lbs of eco complete will get me by for now.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hybrid what kinda lighting are you working with? you could always plant heavy with low light plants. and just work them in wherever there is open space.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:47 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine View Post
Hybrid what kinda lighting are you working with? you could always plant heavy with low light plants. and just work them in wherever there is open space.
I'd say *should* plant heavy
Quote:
I thought that the main advantage schultz had over regular gravel was the fact that it has a much higher CEC.
Agreed. To me, this makes it worth it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode