210 planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
210 planted tank?

I have a 210LED gallon aquarium that I'm changing over to a planted tank.
Any ideas about what the best substrate is keeping in mind cost?
The plants i'll be using are mostly higro and cripts.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Minit,
I do not have a tank your size but I do have a 20G planted tank and use eco-complete and it has been great. It also does not require any previous rinsing before adding it to your tank. The vitamins and minerals in eco-complete will eventually be used up and you will need to supplement them with some sort of fertilizer. Many people recommend regular good old miracle grow sticks. Good luck, I recommend looking up reviews online.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Planted Member

I have Florite in my 90g but if you want to keep cost way down....than a dirt tank is the cheapest way to go.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
A few bags of SafeTSorb will run you $40 or less if you can source it locally. Nice color, can be dusty but giving a light sieving before a light rinse and it isn't too messy when water is added. Down side is it is very light weight and may drive you nuts planting stems or groundcover plants. In a deep wide tank that can be a big nuisance.

STS, Florite and the other aquatic substrates are basically the same stuff, fired clay or volcanic rock and none have useable nutrients. Root tabs and/or liquid fertilizer is needed for them.

A shallow layer of dirt covered with pool filter sand is often suggested as a cheap substrate. Not sure it would be cheaper than STS as STS is so light weight it goes a lot further than heavy sand. PFS is usually quite pale, if you would prefer a darker cover any fine textured inert substance can do. Some have good success with blasting sand like Black Diamond. Since you are planning a lot of crypts this could be a good idea as crypts would love dirt. Even though it isn't expensive do study up on it as some have sharper bits than other kinds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Black diamond blasting grit either 20/40 or 30/60 its $8 for 100lbs at tractor supply. Use root tabs with this and watch your plants take off. It's fish safe to so they can sift and dig as they want. Just make sure to rinse this before use can create a cloudy tank for a day or two

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are willing to put some effort into it, MTS (mineralized topsoil) works well and is very cheap, cost-wise. For a cap, Black Diamond blasting grit is highly recommended (20/40, generally).

I think that's the best 'bang for the buck' substrate solution...provided the work is acceptable.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
If you are willing to put some effort into it, MTS (mineralized topsoil) works well and is very cheap, cost-wise. For a cap, Black Diamond blasting grit is highly recommended (20/40, generally).

I think that's the best 'bang for the buck' substrate solution...provided the work is acceptable.
What kind of effort you tslking about?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dirt FTW! Every planted that I set up from now on with the exception of high end shrimp tanks will have dirt.

The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal

10g NPT Betta tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode