Seachem Flourite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Flourite?

I am just curious what everyones opinion is on this product? I went looking for an appropriate subtrate at my LFS but this is all they had. Being impulsive, I bought it first and here I am asking questions. Did I make an awful choice?

BTW what is the "best" subtrate out there in your opinion? I see many people discussing soilmaster. And where can I buy peat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I have fluorite in my tank and its pretty good, but I'm getting tired of the somewhat ugly reddish-brown color. Since its almost the same price as ADA AS, I'll probably go with that next time. Don't get me wrong, fluorite is a good substrate and has a lot of iron, but just like with anything it has its flaws. You may find that the gravel size is a little large for some of the smaller stem plants or carpet plants as they like to pull out until they're firmly rooted. Just a minor point though. Make sure you rinse it VERY well! I would put a little at a time into a 5 gal bucket and rinse it thoroughly at least 2-3 times.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine doesn't appear to be all that course. I havn't actually opened the bag yet, but the grains seem fairly fine. I don't really care about the colour, since I plan on putting dwarf hairgrass in the tank. With any luck when the hair grass starts to grow and spread, it will cover all the subtrate anyway. Besides you can mix it with better looking subtrate anyways. And correct me if I am wrong, but you could make a bottom layer of flourite and have somthing nicer covering it if you wanted too, right?

Forgive me for being lazy, but what is ADA? I have never heard of that product.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
im using it on my 29 gal tank, all my plants are healthy and thriving, i love it, i really recommend it especially for beginners. ADA AS and Eco complete is also a good substrate.

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
i love the texture and look of my eco. looks really natural to me.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
ADA AS stands for Aquatic Design Amano(the company) and Aqua Soil is the actual substrate. I have yet to try it, but folks seem to rave about it.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have flourite in 2 tanks and Eco in 2 tanks.

I guess I will try ADA when I get my 5th and 6th tanks ha!

I like Eco because of he way it looks and it's color.

I like Flourite because it holds my plants down well and I can Gravel Vac it as deep as I want much easier than Eco.

They are both good substrates. Flourite seems a bit more work at first, and Eco seems a bit harder later down the road (Gravel vacumes).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've got Flourite in my 2 tanks, and am happy with the growth I get, but I can only compare that to plain gravel.

If you do use it, rinse it well. Take a look at Rex's guide. He's really got the best way to rinse it.
If you are too rough with it when you Rinse, you will make more dust.
Rex's Guide to Substrate

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode