Fox Farms Ocean Forrest? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fox Farms Ocean Forrest?

Has anyone used Fox Farms Ocean Forrest Potting soil in their aquarium? I would prefer to use that over Miracle Grow based on experience with my herbs and vegetables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
It has a lot of perlite, way more than your typical store bought brand. It can sometimes be a little hot for some plants if left undiluted with other mixes, not sure how that would translate under water.

More kids than time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I've just started using this for my emersed crypts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I've just started using this for my emersed crypts.
Do you have fish in your tank as well? I'm concerned for the fish as well as the plants. How are your crypts holding up?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nope, just using it for part of my emersed tank for black water crypts. The soil has an adjusted pH of 6.3-6.8 but I'm not sure what it would balance out to in a full tank.

Most of my crypts have only been planted a week or so. They seem to be adjusting well.

RAOK Club #24
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Well after the feedback on this and doing some research I have decided I am going to make my own MTS and cap it with 20/40 Black Diamond Sand as per the instructions I found here.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-talbot.html

Id much rather have to do less dosing and from what i'm reading MTS holds up the longest. Plus I'm a hands on DIY kinda guy. Picked up the topsoil and black sand this evening and ordered the clay, dolomite, and muriate of potash. now I just have to wait till after the 4th of July (I'm working a fireworks tent for 10-12 days $$$) to start the MTS process. I'm gonna start a Tank Journal so I can log my progress. Hopefully I can turn out a nice 55g planted and stocked tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The 20/40 is awesome. I use it with just root tabs and the plant growth is awesome. I'm gonna try a soul substrate capped with this in the future. Keep us updated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
The 20/40 is awesome. I use it with just root tabs and the plant growth is awesome. I'm gonna try a soul substrate capped with this in the future. Keep us updated
Yeah. I just think black sand looks cool lol. I was gonna just get sand then through my research found that it wont hold slopes well or give plants enough nutes. This should be fun to keep a journal of my first serious adventure into planted tanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've got Black Diamond in my 20L with lots of root tabs as the whole tank is pretty much crypts. I really like the look of it!

RAOK Club #24
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
I've got Black Diamond in my 20L with lots of root tabs as the whole tank is pretty much crypts. I really like the look of it!
Yeah I was checking your tanks out. Looks real nice!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode