Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil

Anyone ever use this in their aquarium? If you have, then what are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I use it in my 50g planted tank, its a cheap substrate that works great. I like it, some people don't like the color but I think it look very natural. It is however light in weight making it hard to plant some plants, but I find it easy for me to plant anything.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I also bought some peat. Should the peat go under or on top of the Aquatic soil?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Underneath, I believe. When the substrate is too heavy, I've used small lead weights to help hold plants down.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl View Post
I also bought some peat. Should the peat go under or on top of the Aquatic soil?
Yep, the peat moss should be placed underneath the substrate, which what I did as well. If you ever need to add some more, you could always use coffee filters, fill it up with peat, tie it up and drop it in your canister filter if you have one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I use it and love it. Only problem is it's too light, but it works well enough.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

What about adding some gravel on top of the AS? Or shoulf I just return the bag and look for something different? I think too many layers of too many different substrates would be a PITA to maintain--and look plain fugly. =P
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use the stuff and like it a lot... though I got a bag of pea-gravel that is somewhat simmilar in color and added placed some on the top. Helped to hold the plants down.

Eventually (after a couple moves) the pea gravel mixed in with the shultz and seems to work even better as a mix of light and heavy.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You may add what ever you like on top of it, however it would probably take a week or so for the plants to root, by then you are good to go.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)
I use it. love it. works great. but yeah being light lets it get blown around some.

My 20 gal journal

6Gal Nano Journal

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I've got it in my 10. But I capped it with an inch or so of a fine gravel. I did manage to get some HC to stay put in it (growing v*e*r*y slowly as this is a low-tech tank.) I think the things it's got going for it is wide availability and a decent price.

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 04:01 PM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm new to planted tanks, but decided to use it. I've had it planted for three weeks and so far so good. I put a very fine layer of peat under it - just a dusting over the bottom of the tank. I didn't rinse it when I put it in, but I did fill the tank VERRRRRY slowly - about 1/3 of the tank per day over the course of three days so that may have helped. I put a plate on top of it and had a very slow flow going onto the plate. I have Cryptocorynes and a couple of Echinodorus in it so nothing very hard to plant. I have an Ancistrus sp. and some Corydoras julii in the tank right now, have not fertilized until today when I put a couple of Flourish tabs at the base of the swordplants. Someday when I have a decent camera I'll take some pictures. HTH.

Laura

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode