Fluval Substrate 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Am I doing this right?

G'day all,

Don't know if you have all read my introduction. Basically I am going into a high tech planted tech setup - I have access to a lot of resources products and technology wise but i am going to be going at this blind.

I have had a look at and discussed with a few colleagues and customers several substrates and I am come to a conclusion. I am after a substrate that is quite heavy as the current 10USgal i have has the fluval shrimp substrate and is virtually impossible to plant in - this is probably something to do with my technique or another issue.

I am thinking of going eco-complete as a substrate or Fluval Stratum (the one in the green bag).

My preference is the eco-complete.

Will this be good with a heavily planted thank - I have heard that it does not have great nutrients within it. So i was thinking adding Flourish tabs as per the dosing guide would fix this issue? Or will a good dosing regime be enough with this substrate as i heard it can retain them and eventually release them to roots.

Thanks for all your replies in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
How are you planting in the substrate? I've used it for years with no problems. You need to have patience and use long, slender tweezers. Insert the plants at a bit of an angle and you'll be fine. Worst case scenario, you could use a plant anchor.

Fluval Plant Stratum is just as light as Fluval Shrimp Stratum. Neither contain much in the realm of nutrients for your plants. Neither does Eco-Complete, as it is inert. Root tabs will be necessary with any of the three. Or EI dosing will accomplish what you need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is EI dosing? Fair enough, i shall try planting on an angle the next time i get a floating plant. I do currently use some aqua scapeing tweezers - they make everything a dream. I am thinking it could also be the fish. Thanks for the ideas mate, at this point I may go with the eco-complete and use flourish tabs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
EI is Estimative Index dosing. Check this link for more info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
For a much more comprehensive look at fertilizer dosing, check the sticky in the Fert section here on the forum.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you both of you, I will go with the Eco-Complete. Now I just need to look at ferts, and decide weather to go dry or wet. But that's for another section. Thanks gentlemen

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode