Soilmaster Select vs Turface Pro League (color and composition) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Soilmaster Select vs Turface Pro League (color and composition)

Folks,

I am looking for a new substrate and have narrowed it down to:

#1 choice - Soilmaster Select (charcoal)
#2 choice - Turface Pro Leage (grey)

I am in the process of trying to get Soilmaster, but know I can get Turface. Anyone have a picture of the two for comparison color wise. What I have see is the Soilmaster is darker and the Turface is a lighter grey, which I don't want.

Thanks,

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
I don't know about Turface, but here are some pic's of the other:
Joe's Planted Tanks - Aquarium Substrate Challenge

https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...-Substrate/26/

To me the soilmaster is lighter Grey than Eco, I thought "charcoal" would be light black, it is Grey to me, with sprinkles of reddish/orange. I still like it though. It is light and might not hold small plants down well.

Current: 45g planted, MTS/EcoC/blastingsand. SunSun filter, pressurized CO2.
Old: 15g planted / Aquaclear 30, Eco-C, Pressurized CO2
Old: 10g heavy plants, Eco complete, Cherry shrimp, otto's. DIY CO2 w/ glass diffuser. Aquaclear 20.
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I actually have a bag of both, Ill take some pictures when I get home from work tonight.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddytank View Post
I actually have a bag of both, Ill take some pictures when I get home from work tonight.
What will really be helpful is taking a picture of them side-by-side, in a tankful of water, under an aquarium light. I'm trying to get a friend to bring me some Soilmaster Select so I can take a picture under these conditions.

My Turface can go from medium gray dry, to a dark gray when damp, to a medium brownish-gray when in the tank under lights. Very variable appearance depending on what condition it's in.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Planted Member

Here is my Pro's choice soilmaster select charcoal on super macro:

Old: 10g heavy plants, Eco complete, Cherry shrimp, otto's. DIY CO2 w/ glass diffuser. Aquaclear 20.
Old: 55g planted, Soilmaster select charcoal, community tank. Pressurized CO2 w/ in-line reactor. Magnum 350 pump.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
What will really be helpful is taking a picture of them side-by-side, in a tankful of water, under an aquarium light. I'm trying to get a friend to bring me some Soilmaster Select so I can take a picture under these conditions.

My Turface can go from medium gray dry, to a dark gray when damp, to a medium brownish-gray when in the tank under lights. Very variable appearance depending on what condition it's in.
I wish I could right now, its all not quite ready yet. I have lights, the Soilmaster and Turface, and aquariums, and water, but its not all put together yet. Sorry. The only pictures I could take would be of the substrate itself.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Actually, my Turface looks pretty similar to Chris' Soilmaster Select.

I'll post a super macro shot of it tonight for comparison.

óBill

|
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I actually had a closeup shot of the Turface already on my site...

óBill

|
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hmmmm. Looks pretty similar by your pictures. The picture on Profile's web site is very misleading.

And nothing like your picture bharada....

Can you guys post a picture backed up a bit from your tank?

Also bigdaddytank, could you get a picture of the two substrates (dry as you have them), side by side?

What a pain I am....

I am not seeing a real difference, but maybe I am missing something.

Thanks all!

Ted
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ted,
The picture on the Profile site is pretty accurate for the dry state of Turface. But like I said, it's very variable depending on how wet it is and the lighting it's under.

Here's a shot (taken a few minutes ago) of my 40g tank in which I switched to Turface two weeks ago...

Closer view of the right side...

The tank was lit by a single, 96w, 8800K PC bulb when the picture was taken.

óBill

|
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
I love the soil master red... I will post a pic tomarow for ya.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Planted Member

bharada,
How well does that foreground plant stay in the substrate?

I have dwarf sag in my tank and the fish keep up-rooting it on occasion.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris333 View Post
bharada,
How well does that foreground plant stay in the substrate?

I have dwarf sag in my tank and the fish keep up-rooting it on occasion.
For the most part the HC has stayed down, but my method is to pull half the plant under the substrate when planting so there's ample foothold. I do get the occasional floater, but it's been managable. Usually just a few small strands rather than one of the larger clumps.

óBill

|
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
That's some pretty cool foreground plants... What are they called? I would Love to get some for my 20 Gal. tank!

I have Soilmaster (charcoal) & I Love it... Already have New growth onesome plants that I nearly Killed! I have only had this setup for what... a week or so... I'm happy as can be... Although... yes, it is light weight & some of my plants had come out, But, only when I'm freshly planting it... None of the plants moved since I put them in the substrate & made sure they stayed... I was going Mad trying to get them to stay in though... Then my Sexy Woman came & calmed me down a bit... That was a BIG help! :-D

Steve X.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode