Converting 20H to ADA Amazonia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Converting 20H to ADA Amazonia

Hi all. I'm looking at switching my 20H to ADA amazonia substrate. From what I understand, they recommend one-9L bag (plus 2L of powersand) for a 12/24" footprint. I'm wondering how many inches of substrate does this give you? Will it be enough if I want to scape it sloping upwards towards the back? It would be around 1.5-2" in the front and maybe about 3-4" in the back. I want to get enough, but I also don't want to buy more than I need as its kind of pricey. Many thanks.

-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
11 liters (9l of AS and 2l of PS) will give you a little over a 2" thick base. You'll need to get at least another 3l bag of AS (or a 9l and save the extra) if you want to do any serious sloping toward the back.

Bill

|
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How fine is the powder compared to normal (ADA Amazonia)? Do most people go with the normal version? I have fluorite currently and I think the granules are too large.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The powder is probably 2mm granules. The folks in sfbaaps who have used it don't recommend it for anything larger than a small nano as the granules are too light to hold down any significantly sized stems.

For a 20H I'd stick to the regular AS.

Bill

|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok. that's all I need to know. I'll get a 9L and 3L of "normal" Amazonia and a 2L bag of power sand. Thanks!

-Ryan

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
yeah.. this powder form for?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

excuse me?

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wel while I was purchasing my ADA AS I noticed that have a"powder" form. jsut curious as to what it is compared to "normal" form.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
Powder form sucks. I've used both and like the regular version much better. It is supposed to be used in really small tanks or as a top layer in larger tanks. For me it just breaks down a lot faster and causes a mess. Stick with the normal version and you will be happier.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
It also says the the powder form by itself will compact.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yah, I imagine a lot like sand will do. Probably best to stick with "regular", although now I'm wondering if I want to get the powersand or not. A lot of folks say its not really needed, but I don't know. I'm just trying to save a little $$ and weight for shipping costs. I would love to just go somewhere and pick it up, but I live in Sacramento and the closest place I know of who carries this is Aquaforest in San Francisco, which would be a good 1 1/2-2 hrs from here. The cost of gas would just about equal the shipping cost, I bet. Plus, they may mark prices up a little from the ADA website, I don't know.

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it is not that expensinve.. $30 for 3 bags of dirt haha.. so alittle under $10 a bag.. probably about $8 since I got a small think of PS.

hey what do you mean it breaks down alot easier?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 03:55 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recently did esactly what you are doing, and I figured i would need more than 9 liters on top of the 2 liters of Powersand i used, but I rteally didnt. I have a slope of about 3.5"-4" in the back and about an 1.5" in the front, and I am fully satisfied.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Where are you getting your numbers from CardBoardBoxProcessor? The 9L bag is $26, the 3L bag is $13 and the 2L bag of powersand is $20. For one of each of those, including the cheapest shipping, would be around $80. Looks like I'll just need the one 9L bag, according to Nightshop. I'll probably get a bag of powersand to, so it should be fine. Thanks for the replies!

--Ryan

90g journal:

SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode