New tank with ADA Amazonia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
New tank with ADA Amazonia

OK, I'm going to be setting up a new 14 gallon tank (Oceanic Bio-cube), and I can't wait to try out the ADA Aqual Soil Amazonia.
It was recommended that I use:
2- 3 liter bags of the Aqual Soil Amazonia.
1- 2 liter bag of Power Sand.
And the Tourmaline BC.

I've only used Flourite in the past, and am looking to get input from anyone else who has used the ADA substrate system.

Thanks

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i switched from fluorite to AS Amazonia and I loooooooove it. Nice and soft, nice color and the plants are growing like mad. I didn't do the power sand, I just did a dusting of the dried peat at the bottom just to save money.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably go that route.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably go that route.
Walter, there is quite a bit of peat already in the mix. They are the floaters. I don't think you need to add anything. Just the AS, unless you wanna do the cliche sandy front, which sure looks cool, usless you have some Corys...

And watch for a little NH4 in there the first month or so. I had to add some zeolite since I had all my fish in my tank.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the heads up Bob.
I've decide to go straight AS, no sandy beaches, very simplistic, and plain.
The better news is that I have nothing pre-disposed to go into this tank, so I can start with just a bunch of plants, and no fish.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
How large are those bags of Aqual Soil Amazonia in pounds? 3 liters doesnt really tell me anything when i hear liters i think soda bottles, About how many do i need to purchase for my 55 gallon.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Can't do it by weight. I will say that a 9 litre bag to me looked like it was ~2-2.5 bags of flourite.
Best bet, give Jeff a call or drop him an e-mail:
Aqua Design Amano USA/ADGshop.com- now available in the U.S.A, prouldy offered by Aquarium Design Group. The finest planted aquarium products.

he was a great help to me, and responds very quickly.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Planted Member

thanks this has been killing me hard to purchase if you dont know how much your getting
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
you do know, it goes by volume. Its 3 or 9L bags just convert it to square inches. Figure out how much you need based on volume.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbigdaddy2 View Post
thanks this has been killing me hard to purchase if you dont know how much your getting
Well, if 4 nine liter bags nicely fill a 18"x48" footprint, you could calculate off of that if its easier. I'd say Tazcrash was pretty close when comparing to the flourite bags.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

Thanks very helpfull i kept tring to picture a 9 liter bottle worth of soil in a bag wasnt working.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Bio cube has a 15"X15.5" footprint.

A 1" deep layer of substrate = 15" x 15.5" x 1" = 232.5 cubic inches

Multiply this by the amount of inches deep you want the substrate to be. For a back-to-front slope use the average between the high and low depths.

3 litres of Aqua Soil = 183 cubic inches
9 liters of Aqua Soil = 549 cubic inches

óBill

|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've got a couple of questions on your 14.

Is the entire top hinged like the 8 or does it just sit on top like the 29?

How close to the bottom is the bottom of the lower intake? The 8 is too low (IMO) for good substrate depth, while the 29 is plenty high for good depth.

Thanks,
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
OK, I'm going to be setting up a new 14 gallon tank (Oceanic Bio-cube), and I can't wait to try out the ADA Aqual Soil Amazonia.
It was recommended that I use:
2- 3 liter bags of the Aqual Soil Amazonia.
1- 2 liter bag of Power Sand.
And the Tourmaline BC.

I've only used Flourite in the past, and am looking to get input from anyone else who has used the ADA substrate system.

Thanks
Wayne, you talked your wife into it??? Good job!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode