Difference between Spagnum moss & Peat moss? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aquamanx
Difference between Spagnum moss & Peat moss?

OK, I went to my local Lowes, the only "Peat moss" I found was "Spagnum Peat moss, Enriched with Miracle Grow". I didn't think it was the "Right Stuff". So, I didn't buy it, but, they didn't have any other moss Except "Spagnum moss". You know, the stuff that looks like the actual moss. I guess what they make wreaths out of, & cover the potting baskets with. Anyway, I went to a local Flower shop & asked for "Spagnum Peat Moss". What they had was made by (sold by) FTD & was only Labeled "Spagnum Moss". It didn't say ANYTHING about Peat. But, it looked like the "Right Stuff". Kind of like what Potting soil looks like, without the Perlite. Plus, it does say it has Organics in it. Is this the "Right Stuff" to use? I'd hate to use it if it's isn't! I only spent $5.00 on the whole bag & I do terrestrial plantings too, so it wouldn't kill me to use it in potted plants out of the Aquarium. Was I right in thinking that I shouldn't use the stuff with Miracle grow in it?

Thanks for any info you can give me...

I'm just totaly new to this whole Planted tank thing... I would have used it lastnight if Lesco was open when I got out of work.. They close at 4:30, I got out @ 4:45 yesterday... LOL ! Just My Luck! So, that means I couldn't pick up my SoilMaster Select.

Steve X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The peat moss you want is the stuff that comes in compressed bales. It's normally called either "peat moss" or some times "Sphagnum Peat Moss". One of the larger companies sells a smaller non-compressed bag.

You don't want the stuff that has added fertilizers in it.

And you don't want the stringy stuff that looks like dried moss.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So, would it be safe to say that the stuff I have (which is NOT the Stringy stuff...) is the right stuff, even though it doesn't say "Peat" on the lable? As I said, it looks pretty much like Potting soil, w/o the perlite in it. Brown, Fluffy, & Very light in weight. I had "Peat Pellets" that I started seeds in... & It looks like the stuff inside it when I added water to them. The Peat pellets puff up when you add water. Does anyone have a good pic of what the "right stuff" should look like? This is the stuff I have...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
That looks good.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Rex, you've been a great help, between the PM's, posting here, & Me Reading your info on your site! Very informative!

Thanks!
Steve X.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Out of curiosity, on this old thread, why would one not want the whole, unground moss? I come to think of uneven coverage of the bottom and maybe uneasy to handle and place, for this particular end.

I'd use it if I could find it here. It would be great to use in the slitted plastic pots for propagation and other experimental uses. Perhaps easier to use it as a filter medium.

Anyone has experience with it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode