Substrate change is needed sometime in the future. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Substrate change is needed sometime in the future.

My 72 gallon bow front has nice pond rocks in it. they are very pretty and all that stuff but they have a few problems associtated with them. They make the water very hard/raise PH constantly. I can never get it below 6.8 with co2 and chemicals don't do much. The reason I orignially used these rocks knowing they do this is because it was originally going to be a goldfish tank. I changed my mind after adding rocks and stuff. anyway, I need to change it sometime and I figure I mean as well do it up right since I wand this tank to be a nice richly planted tank.

So, experts on thsi forums, tell me what I should do! please! I see all thse weird substrates on here from ADA and such and have no clue what is right. Help me!

P.S. could the very hard water be what is making my Cambomba thrive? if so, will they die after substrate change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
How much do you want to spend?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Why is hard water a problem? For most people it isn't.

Goldfish are exceptionally adaptable, and I have seen them in almost straight R/O and liquid rock water. Perhaps some of the very expensive rare breeds might be picky, but certainly not the majority.

If you are one of the few, get rid of the rocks and buy an R/O unit. Problem solved. R/O units can be had for $130 shipped on Ebay, and it will be around 100GPD. You an justify the cost by using it for ironing water, houseplants, and drinking/cooking.

Some cabomba species like hard water, most plants are oblivious to hardness/alkalinity/pH

ADA Aquasoil will lower pH and hardness, but not indefinitely.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it is ntoa goldfish tank thoguh.. it was going to be.. but it is tropical now haha.. and price? I dunno give me a few options and price ranges.. and I will see haha
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can use anything from pool filter sand (quartz sand) to Soilmaster to Turface, to some brands of cat litter, to ADA Soil, to 3M Color Quartz sand, to any of the commercial substrates. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay. The only one of the substrates I have read about that seems to help the plants to grow better is the ADA Soil. The others have lots of theoretical advantages, and grow plants very well too.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Not to high jack this thread, but where can you buy 3M Color Quartz sand in black?

The only places that might have it is a pool place about 50 miles from me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ADA soil? I have seen it.. where cna I buy it? why does it help plants grow? and.. does it do what peat does?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
ADA's soil provides nutrients to the plants, so water column fertilizing isn't so important - you should still do it, but if you mess up it doesn't have as much effect. It also is soft, so it doesn't scratch the glass. But, why it grows plants better I don't really know, but several folks have found that it does. However, there is always a catch - it does affect the water, making the pH drop and screwing up the measurement of CO2 by the KH/pH method, and may need water changes more often at first. Local fish stores don't usually have it either.

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright Guys.. I am going to go with ADA aqua soil. I have sene somepeople mix in powersand with their soil, why? Should I? and I hear it likes to make ammonia spikes?

also, where si the best place to buy it?

Last edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor; 10-05-2006 at 02:15 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode