Sand Help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Sand Help?

Ok, Hi all havent been here in a while and I have been neglecting my tank for about 7-8 months. by neglecting I mean no dosing, once a month water change and no trimming. Now my hairgrass Is covered in hairy algae and isnt growing as well as before. Yes I know not dosing is part of the cause but I have noticed that my sand has settled? All thwe large particles are on top while all the finer particles have settled down to the bottom. Could this Inhibit root growth? I have also noticed small pockets of air in the sand around plant roots. Is this cause for concern? opinions please...

P.s. I am trying to whip my tank back into shape...
sorry to ramble..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That was what I saw right before my tank with the sand substrate totaly crashed. The tank did great untill gas started to build up in the substrate. As I broke up the gas pockets it stunk to high heaven. The sand also got into my filters and destroyed the impellers and cost me a lot of $ to replace filters.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Maybe I could just siphon the sand out?? Would this be dangerous to the fish?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogg76 View Post
Maybe I could just siphon the sand out?? Would this be dangerous to the fish?
Doubt it. But I am no expert.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Bump! Come on guys?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 12:02 PM

Try find out what kind of gas the pockets are made of. When you stir it up and it smells like rotten eggs then you know its a sulfide gas and poisionous (to you and fishies!). As you suggested it may be of the increased anaerobic conditions from the sifting of sand. Not sure how you'd go around that, maybe remove fishes and stir up the sand abit or a grav vac will get some o2 down there.

On the other hand it could just be excess o2 in your gravel or even N2 (bubbles dont give off any smell). As you meantioned that the bubbles formed around your plants only (or am i imagining things?) plants who are growing really well actually bring oxygen down to their roots therefore preventing any anaerobic conditions. N2 can result from the right bacteria growing in the right anaerobic conditions.

I say this because it's whats happening in my tank (according to walstard). I have a clay/laterite base with 2mm gravel to top it off. I always have small bubbles in the gravel and every so often a large bubble escapes the substrat. Initally i was cautious but the tank smells...well like a healthy fish tank and there's never a wiff of rotten eggs, no matter how much of this gas escapes. Tanks been running for close to a year now so i'm still cautious (sulfies might me slowly building) but i'm not paranoid that the tank is going to crash anytime soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode