Ammonia Spike with ADA Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ammonia Spike with ADA Aquasoil

This last sunday I purchased a 9 Liter bag of ADA Amazonian AS along with 2 liters of Power Sand Special. This went into an empty 20gallon tall, which I had been using to age water in for my recently shut down 25gallon tall. The 20 gallon is set up now using a Coralife 65 watt 6700K (But i also have a 10,000K I can use), an established XP1, pressurized C02 running 2 bubbls per second, EI dosing macros and micros. Flora: HM, rotala M., and some Vallisneria americana. Fauna: None. These plants are leftovers from my 25gallon which were healthy enough to keep. All the plants seem to have adapted well to the new tank since sunday.

Here's my question.

In order to combat the 3.0mg/l ammonia level i am reading, the womem at Aqua Forest suggested frequent water changes to lower it enough to introduce fish in a few weeks. Now if I do as she advised then following any form of fert reigmen is trivial as any ferts I would add would just be removed with the water change. Also doesn't having an established filter aid in lowering the amonia levels?

The tank is slightly cloudy but I figure it should fade with time.

I'll have pics soon.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
ammonia spike is the norm it seems for new tanks with AS, it goes away on its own with water changes and a good bacteria level, but adding stem or floating fast growers helps lower it even more. najas, foxtail or other nutrient "sponges" will help reduce the time it takes to lower the ammonia level but it just takes time. as for the cloudy water thats never happened with AS for me, sounds like a minor bacteria bloom. your right, ferts would be a waste of money for the moment with all the water changes so i would stop for a week or so. up your co2 since you have no fauna, itll help reduce any algae blooms that always happen to new tanks. good luck. AS is the best substrate if have used so far.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 02:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding it to an existing tank?

I am planning to add it to an existing tank, so i couldn't manage having an ammonia for risk of killing fauna?! what can i do??
I don't anywhere to move the fish accept for a big styrofoam box! What can I do to not have an ammonia spike?or minimize it? Could seachems prime work? with w/c's to fix this?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I changed out a 50 gallon tank to AS with no problems. Recomendation is lots of water changes. Eric (ibn) changed out his 90 gallon altumn tank with out any deaths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
How many water changes you recommend and how much?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You could always put activated carbon and ammonia absorbing media in yoiur filter for a couple weeks. Amano loads his with carbon to remove any discoloration from the AS.

John P.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm about to setup an 18 gallon this week and I was told to do frequant changes for the first week and to add a sponge filter to help with the bacteria. So far I have been letting my filter for the tank get established by running it in another tank and I also have a sponge filter being cycled as well. I think with them both I should be fine after a week. You may want to add some bio-spira if the tank is already setup. That should add enough bacteria to bring down the amonia level and get the tank ready for fish also.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
The recomendation is 50 percent every couple of days for the first 2 weeks.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiwane View Post
The recomendation is 50 percent every couple of days for the first 2 weeks.

On a previously established 90 gallon that I just added four 9 liter bags of Aqua Soil to, so far all fish are OK - a little over week into it.

But do you know if any folks have been dosing any traces during the first few weeks?

I'm assuming no macros for a while. My fish load traditionally took care of that and when I checked my nitrates a few days back they were well over 20-30ppm so I'm leaving well enough alone there. My Blyxa aubertii usually flowers when over 2ppm of phosphates and I've seen it flower recently so all the macros are a plenty, I believe... I have been adding K as usual and GH stuff too.

There had been much upheaval removing a ground cover of Marselia a few weeks earlier, then over 50% of my old substrate prior to introducing the AS over a couple of different days. On top of that, I have moved every plant except a C balansae stand. So I imagine the nitrates are related to all this upheaval too.

But I'm still wondering if its pre-mature to add any traces or Seachem iron. Thanks for any help on this. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

after adding aqua soil...huge ammonia spike, melting plants

90 gal.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I have a 90g with ~ 4 1/2 bags of AS and 1 bag of powersand-S and the ammonia was a bit high on Friday when I checked it (1.0 ppm).
I've been running lighting and Co2 to the full duration, but was told that ferts aren't really needed with AS, although I'm still dosing 30-35mL of CSM+B solution every other day. So far, the plants are slowly recovering. No fish in the tank yet, but algae is coming. I noticed gsa on the glass and the water is a little hazy. I think its a combination between the tanins from the driftwood and maybe a little gw, although I have a 9w UV running...

Yes, Snapple --- My plants melted as well. This was during the first few days (or week) when the tank was still a bit cloudy from the AS. I wish I had a diatom filter! I just did wc's every day or two until it cleared. It's still not crystal clear though and its been over a week now. hopefully things will settle.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I just recenly set up a 30g with powersand,aquasoil and troumalineBC and after a few days I had 8ppm's of ammonia even with a established filter. I didnt dose any ferts for the first week other than potassium like ADA recommends along with ~60-70ppm of co2.

I did 50-60% water changes everyday and after a week the ammonia went away and I am dosing EI with it now. All my plants melted too but I dont know if it was because of the substrate change or because I overdosed excel accidently.

On my 30g I just have a eheim 2213 which was on the previous tank and after a week worths of water changes the water is crystal clear!

I read on another forum that since aquasoil lowers your ph it actuallly makes ammonia less toxic and safer for fauna and such. Mid week through I added amano shrimp to the tank with no ill effects so I guess it holds some truth.

FUNction over form

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

isnt it the ph drop that melts plants?

90 gal.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sNApple View Post
isnt it the ph drop that melts plants?
By itself, no.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
By itself, no.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Well what caused melting? ph drop + ammonia spike?

90 gal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode