Substrate for a 55G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Substrate for a 55G

How many bags of Flourite (15lbs.) would i need to fill a 55G? I would like about a 3" depth. Also would changing all of the gravel at once be too stressful for my fish? Thanks.

55G Planted Freshwater
4-Blood Parrot,5-Spotted & 2-Albino Cory,
8-Ottos,3-SAE
A.Sword,J.Fern,A.Nana,Vals,B.Pennyworth,R.Ludwigia ,R.Indica,Flame&JavaMoss,Bacopa
Emperor 400,Filstar XP3,200W Heater,Rena 400 Pump
Coralife 4-65W 6700K ,Tubo Twist 9W UV
5LB Pressurized CO2 System w/ SMS122 PH Controller
FILSTAR PIMP #104
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I would suggest 4-5 bags to give you that depth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. Do you have any suggestion on the best way to change the gravel? I mean do you change it all at once? Do i have to remove the fish & plants to make it easier? Would really appreciate advise.

55G Planted Freshwater
8-Ottos,3-SAE
A.Sword,J.Fern,A.Nana,Vals,B.Pennyworth,R.Ludwigia ,R.Indica,Flame&JavaMoss,Bacopa
FILSTAR PIMP #104

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obet_07304 View Post
How many bags of Flourite (15lbs.) would i need to fill a 55G? I would like about a 3" depth. Also would changing all of the gravel at once be too stressful for my fish? Thanks.
assuming your tank is 48" long and 12" wide you would need 96lbs at 15lbs a bag that would be about 6.4 bags, and if you are using a HOB or Canster filter , I would say tear it down and set it back up fresh, just run your filter in whatever you're keeping your fish & plants in while you set up
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Since you are switching to Flourite, I think I would go about the substrate swap in a different manner. Flourite is notoriously messy. It is a great product, but it can be filthy even with a good amount of rinsing.

To avoid some of the mess, I would remove the fish and plants, as well as drain most of the aquarium before adding well rinsed Flourite. Then gently refill the aquarium and go from there.

Some may do it differently, but thats how I'd do it!

Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 04:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Since you are switching to Flourite, I think I would go about the substrate swap in a different manner. Flourite is notoriously messy. It is a great product, but it can be filthy even with a good amount of rinsing.

To avoid some of the mess, I would remove the fish and plants, as well as drain most of the aquarium before adding well rinsed Flourite. Then gently refill the aquarium and go from there.

Some may do it differently, but thats how I'd do it!

Mike
If you end up pulling everything out, the best way that I've found to do it is put in all your fluorite after you've rinsed it a little. Keep the plastic bags and lay them over the top of the fluorite. Then place a plate on top of one side and poor the water onto the the plate so that it doesn't disturb the fluorite. I did it this way and the water was clear after a few hours.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have used the same method as cmoh mentioned with AS and it worked great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I used 6 bags in my 55 to get a depth I was happy with (~3 inches)

Flourite is messy and I think Mike's approach is best.
If you are going to rinse the flourite, please do yourself a favor and get yourself a 5 gallon paint strainer from your local hardware store (see the bottom of this page on Rex's site). It will make rinsing your flourite much easier, and it will let you keep more of the fine particles than using a colander.

Also if you do rinse, rinse gently, the more Flourite bangs, rubs, etc... against itself the more dust it will make.
cmoh's idea sounds really good as well for filling after you put down the substrate.

HTH
Walter

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all. I will try this w/in a few months.

55G Planted Freshwater
8-Ottos,3-SAE
FILSTAR PIMP #104

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode