New tank, Eco-complete - horrible problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank, Eco-complete - horrible problems

I've set up a 25g tank 2 weeks ago using Eco-complete for the first time. This substrate has created nothing but hell for my tank. The kH out of the tap is less than 1. With this stuff, my kH slowly goes way past 12-13 degrees after 4-5 days. I've already drained and filled the tank 4 or 5 times and the same thing happens over and over again. Algae is going insane and I'm not foreseeing adding fish to this mess anytime in the future.

I've never seen anything remotely like this in the 10 years of setting up numerous tanks, the only thing that is different this time around is this substrate. Any ideas on how I can battle the hardness problems or should I just throw this stuff out and stick to fluorite that I've been using all along?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Interesting, I have eco and it dose buff the water a little in the beginning not nearly that much. Do you have any other rock in the tank? Are you adding CO2 and how much light over the tank. What are you adding to the tank as far a chemicals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMuffTana View Post
I've set up a 25g tank 2 weeks ago using Eco-complete for the first time. This substrate has created nothing but hell for my tank. The kH out of the tap is less than 1. With this stuff, my kH slowly goes way past 12-13 degrees after 4-5 days. I've already drained and filled the tank 4 or 5 times and the same thing happens over and over again. Algae is going insane and I'm not foreseeing adding fish to this mess anytime in the future.

I've never seen anything remotely like this in the 10 years of setting up numerous tanks, the only thing that is different this time around is this substrate. Any ideas on how I can battle the hardness problems or should I just throw this stuff out and stick to fluorite that I've been using all along?
Yeah, there have been some BIG inconsistencies with Eco lately. I had the same thing happen. I threw out at least one bag, cause it took for ever to flatten out. In fact it never did... I ended up using some with half other inert gravel in a Cherry shrimp tank. After a few months I think its finally closer to inert. I don't buy anything from Caribsea anymore. Sorry for you trouble. Been there too.

BTW. You could email Caribsea and they might replace it free. They are pretty good that way, but their QC stinks.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using a pressurized system. In order to keep the pH in the 6.8 level I have to crank the bubble count up. I have no other substrate/rock in the tank. As for chemicals I've added only my PMDD dose like I always have. I normally try to add a bit of gH booster since that is zero out of the tap as well, but I'm wondering if I keep that higher if it will help maintain a more solid kH? I sent an email to caribsea about the problem, we'll see if they have any ideas on how to resolve the matter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Welllll, I have Eco-Complete substrate in my 55. When messing about with the plants, uprooting, re-planting and so forth, I have had shells pop up out of the substrate. I'm absolutely positive I didn't put them there, so I can only assume they were mixed in with the Eco-Complete. And of course they're going to buffer the water over time.

Another person here who will not buy Eco-Complete in future.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There's definately white flakes in the substrate that look like crushed shells. Now why would they put crushed shells (CaCO3) in with the mix doesn't make sense to me and why would they write on the bag that it does not raise kH or pH?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Tony, might be easiest to yank the substrate. I've had to do that with Eco, as I said before. And my guess (total hearsay, BTW) is that I read somewhere that Caribsea use to keep their substrate outside in a yard. And they make a lot of reef substrates. They are in Florida. Hurricanes might equal contamination. That said, Caribsea has been good about replacing "corrupted" substrate. There is a long thread, actually a couple on this same topic, should you care to search.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode