Soilmaster Select Pro Charcoal, WOW :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Soilmaster Select Pro Charcoal, WOW :)

Hi, I just added soilmaster to my tank last week and literally all of my plants triple its size in one week. $16 for 50lbs, not bad at all. I am adding the substrate slowly (1/4 of the tank each week), try not to put too much stress on my fishes .

I also made PMDD and added 3 drops a day, but green algae started to develop. I reduce my dose to 1 drop PMDD and 2 drops of Kent Freshwater fertilizer. Green algea gone.

I just added CO2 glass diffusor yesterday and the plants went nut when I got back tonight. I notice some black algae growth on the java fern and burnt leaf. Is this caused by the CO2 or fertilizer?

I would like the say thank you this community for helping and guide me to where I am today. I will post pics when everything is complete. Cheers

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The black algae on the plants is probably the beginning of Black brush algae, a sign of not enough CO2. The green may be green spot algae, a sign of not enough phosphate. See, excess ferts don't cause algae, but shortages do. PMDD doesn't contain any phosphate, so unless you dose it separately you will always be short of it. And, if you are short of phosphate, the plants can't use all of the nitrate, which is in short supply in PMDD.

Hoppy
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hobby, thanks for your explanation. However, before I added PMDD and CO2 to my tank, no algae growth whatsoever. After I added the PMDD green spot algae started to grow within 12 hours. Then I reduced PMDD dose and green spot algae disappear. No algae growth ever since, until yesterday when I added CO2 glass diffusor into my tank. So everything happened to my tank seems to contradict what you said. I am sure there is a reason for this backfire, can it be my lighting or feeding habit? I have 3.5WPG (20 gal.), feed twice a day, and utilized 1 in./gal rule .

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is what I have so far:

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:25 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Green spot algae is a lack of PO4, PMDD dosent contain PO4 so you have green spot as well as other algae. Get some PO4 and this will help for sure. Plants need NPK as well as micros CO2 and light to grow. You can stop by your local drug store and get fleet enima(sp?) for the PO4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dusty?

nabreaker... do you have problems with cloudiness and the soilmaster select? I have the exact same substrate (setting up a new tank) and am having a lot of problems with how dusty it is. I rinsed it several times (may have been a mistake), but every time I plan or disturb the substrate in the slightest I have major clouding issues. Have you experienced this?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 PM

I filled a brand new 75gallon with a good 3 inches of soilmaster select - no rinsing. I ran a line from my RO unit directly into the tank and filled the tank with a drip. The water was never cloudy because the water slowly (very slowly) filled the tank.

When I vacuum the substrate, I hit it with the Python, stop the flow and let the substrate settle, then suck up the dust.

I have a Odyssea CFS4 canister filter and an Aquaclear 500 hang on back.

When I filled my 29gal with substrate I took out all of the gravel and then dumped the substrate in with 4 inches of water. It took a good 4 days for the cloudiness to go away. Aquaclear 75 on that tank and there is rarely any clouds.

I use 15 drops of PMMD with yeast C02 and a diffuser in the 30 gallon (approx 3 watts/gal) I just set up a yeast C02 bottle in the 75 gallon (3.4 watt/gal)with 15-20 drops of PMMD daily.

Last edited by lilevo; 10-17-2006 at 08:41 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey Junco, no I have no problem with cloudiness at all. I rinse mine 5 to 6 times and soaked it for 7 days in a bucket. The tank was crystal clear after 24 hrs. Yes, there was a buff of cloud when I agitated soil, but it went back to normal after several seconds. I have a DIY canister filter, which does not disturb any surface at all: water or soil . Hope you can resolve your problem soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junco View Post
nabreaker... do you have problems with cloudiness and the soilmaster select? I have the exact same substrate (setting up a new tank) and am having a lot of problems with how dusty it is. I rinsed it several times (may have been a mistake), but every time I plan or disturb the substrate in the slightest I have major clouding issues. Have you experienced this?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Algae Grower

it's not as bad as I thought after a few days... some initial clouding when planting but it goes away fairly quickly.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Could you guys tell me where you located the charcoal soilmaster? I've wanted to give it a try for a while now but haven't been able to find any. Thanks

75,46 and 40 gal planted tanks
20 gal yellow shrimp tank
10 gal tiger shrimp tank
35 gal hex african tank

Eheim pimp #59
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Go to www.lesco.com and do a search with your zipcode. Then call or email the store and see if they will order it for ya

|
|
|
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (26/100%)
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to know what store they used to order it from as both are not to far away from me. I was actually hoping that one of the stores might have a couple bags in stock Thanks again,

Jon

75,46 and 40 gal planted tanks
20 gal yellow shrimp tank
10 gal tiger shrimp tank
35 gal hex african tank

Eheim pimp #59
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

I got a bag of this stuff here in Phoenix and plan on setting up two 20 gal with it. It's in a bucket of water soaking right now. Maybe this week end I'll have time getting it set up.

You can't beat the price $16 but the store owner looked at me a bit goofy when he asked what it was going to be used for and I told him.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM

There really is no need or point to soaking or rinsing this stuff. If anything, it will make things worse
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKausfish View Post
I got a bag of this stuff here in Phoenix and plan on setting up two 20 gal with it. It's in a bucket of water soaking right now. Maybe this week end I'll have time getting it set up.

You can't beat the price $16 but the store owner looked at me a bit goofy when he asked what it was going to be used for and I told him.
Kinda funny I got this stuff yesterday and the guy said someone else had just bought it for the same reason! Wonder if it was you. I should've just met you there for the plecos and stuff :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode