New tank with ADA Amazonia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question New tank with ADA Amazonia

Just ordered a 9l bag of New Amazonia for my wife's 29g tank. I know the ADA stuff is going to leech ammonia like crazy at first so I was going to plant heavily and just let it sit for a month or two without doing water changes.

My question is how important is the water change if the tank is heavily planted from the get go? Also my bro-lo has a mature tank with a penguin bio wheel hob and I was wondering how I can seed my canister filter with that. Can I just rub my bio balls on the bio wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You're going to need more than one bag of aquasoil for a 29 gallon tank. I would say if its heavily planted and no inhabitants, the wc wouldn't be as important.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Though I haven't used Amazonia, I've heard you'll need to do daily water changes at the beginning. Or at least every few days. But I don't know if you'll be ale to cycle a new tank without frequent water changes, especially with all the ammonia leaching.

Also, just rubbing the parts with his biofilter probably won't be enough. You'd benefit more by borrowing bioballs, taking his used filter material, or even taking as much water as possible.

Either way, water changes are important.

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I disagree. I've cycled many tanks with Amazonia, no water changes and no starter media besides plants. You will be fine.

A few water changes will help bring some levels down, but not absolutely necessary.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not so sure about needing more then 1 bag of aquasoil for a 29 gallon. I used 1 bag and it worked out seemed like plenty. Granted you aren't going to be able to slope it much if at all but it is deep enough for plants.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
One 9L bag of Aquasoil should give you about 1 1/2 inches of substrate. That is skimpy, but could work. I think 2 inches is about the minimum that works well.

Hoppy
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Damn I was sure a 9L bag would be enough as Amazonia is expensive. How well does the ADA stuff work in conjunction with Sphagnum Peat Moss? I have used it in the past with Fluval Stratum and it worked well.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You would be looking at having very stained water in my opinion at least in my experience. However another option would be getting some of the small lava rock to build a slope them pouring the aquasoil over that. Or you could also go for a rock separation and use something like pool filter sand in the unplanted areas. Really depends on the layout and what you had intended for your tank.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I recomend you use ADA Powersand Special as first layer. And put a plastic mesh on it, then Amazonia. Power sand should be stay under your soil. Thats why i recommend mesh You dont need to think about bacterias or biological cycle.

By the way i just establish my new tank with this two soils, Amazonia will make your water very very muddy in first few days, you need a good filter. Maybe you will need to change filter media after 3-4 days. (just filter wool not bio materials) Also you can see some floating tree barks on your water its also normal according to users manual of Amazonia.

Indeed its really good choice, it keeps pH stabil, release nutritient slowly (you can use less fertilizer and keep this condition for long time)... and many more...

Good luck with new tank..

Turkish boy from Hong Kong...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

New Amazonia will not make your water muddy looking. If you are using used soil, its possible, but not new amazonia.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
New Amazonia will not make your water muddy looking. If you are using used soil, its possible, but not new amazonia.
No ofcourse im not using "used" soil in my tank. Actually "new" Amazonia is not new

They are not using that "new" word on their packages since May 04, 2013

So my Amazonia is actually NEW amazonia without "NEW" mark.

http://www.adana-usa.com/

you can see on first page.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure what you are meaning. This New Amazonia, was redone a while back to fix the issue of yellowing and premature breakdown. They did fix the issues.

If you are using the soil straight from the factory, there should be no yellowing of the water.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Boy this is going to confuse people if they really did drop the "New" thing. On the front page of AFA the bag does not say new. On the page of the soil, the bag does say new.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...80#prettyPhoto

I know they had Aquasoil 1 and Aquasoil 2 and this NEW stuff.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Algae Grower

It's my understanding that the new Amazonia soil has "Amazonia" in orange on the bag.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

Old package has "NEW AMAZONIA"
and new package has "AMAZONIA"
They dont use that "new" mark anymore...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ammmmmm.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	155321  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode