Too much time in my head? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much time in my head?

Still at the planning stage for a few tanks in preparation for when I move so I'm doing A LOT of research so when the time comes, I know what I'm up to.

Anyway, been thinking far too much about the substrate (as you do) and for my main 6x2x2 community, I plan to have 1.5" MTS mixed with a clay based cat litter (20%) and topped with an inert river gravel type of about 1". There will be a 1" border of inert substrate round the front and sides of the MTS for aesthetics.
From what I read, 1.5" should do me as I'm only planning moderate planting:- iro 50% visible substrate initially, not taking into account further growth, CFL Lighting and Yeast CO2.

I was wondering if having a thin (1cm-ish) sponge/filter mat layer beneath the MTS would help prevent anoxic conditions and/or possibly serve as a nutrient reservoir for the roots to tap into? Or, as I suspect, am I overthinking this?

You twist and turn like a... Twisty,turny thing!:- Lord Melchett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think there is much to worry about with anoxic/anaerobic decomposition in such a small volume. The plant roots will help bring oxygen down.

Even so, I'm not sure there is really much material to get the really toxic gasses - I think the most common is H2S (I think Walstad's book covered how plants can counter the production/accumulation of it, but I don't have it on hand to check), and I don't think dirt has excessive sulfur in it (not certain) for this to be that much of a concern.

Even so, I'm not sure how sticking a sponge underneath would help, I think it would just add to the substrate volume without really giving you any benefits?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Don't forget the roots would grow into the sponge under the soil making it even more difficult to remove plants and/or rescape.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, thanks. I'm trying to overcomplicate things as usual

You twist and turn like a... Twisty,turny thing!:- Lord Melchett

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode